disable dangerous keyboard jogging!

More
23 Nov 2023 05:15 - 23 Nov 2023 06:19 #286298 by phillc54
AFAIK it is the GUI's that control keyboard shortcuts, not the LCNC core itself.

It is easy to disable keyboard shortcuts in AXIS by putting the following in either a ~/.axisrc file or a USER_COMMAND_FILE.
for key in root_window.bind():
    root_window.unbind(key)
root_window.bind_class("all", "<Key-F1>", '')
Last edit: 23 Nov 2023 06:19 by phillc54. Reason: remove F1 binding
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2023 05:48 #286299 by spumco
Thanks Phill.

Any idea how to unbind estop-F1?

More
23 Nov 2023 05:54 #286300 by spumco

I think you guys would be right at home with QTdragon as it is touch screen only jogging. Which does annoy me a little bit becasue  the controls are a bit hard to use on my small 15.6 inch monitor. so use of keyboards would be handy.

When somebody authors an XZC w/sub-spindle back & front-tool lathe version of QTDragon, with no on-screen controls, I'll jump on it.

Snark aside... since qtvcp does have keybinding features, you could probably enable keyboard shortcuts on your machine.

More
23 Nov 2023 06:20 #286304 by phillc54

Thanks Phill.

Any idea how to unbind estop-F1?

I added a line to the original post:
forum.linuxcnc.org/10-advanced-configura...ging?start=10#286298

More
23 Nov 2023 09:57 #286312 by timo
Not to fix the root cause, but to get a "quick and dirty fix". Can all jogging be deactivated by a switch?
Some hall pin must be there to disable jogging a physical "NOW I WANT TO JOG" switch would put it back on.

More
23 Nov 2023 10:07 #286314 by phillc54
On 2.9 and later there is motion.jog-inhibit

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
27 Nov 2023 12:32 #286617 by andypugh
This response assumes that you are using the Axis GUI. If you are not then it won't make as much sense as it could.

One answer to not having keyboard jogging is to use a GUI which does not support it.
Axis is described as a "keyboard GUI" in the docs, after all.
Touchy takes the view that no machine motion should be possible without using a physical control (typically a jogwheel) and as I believe that keyboard control is both misguided and morally reprehensible, I use Touchy. However if you need a graphical preview, this is not part of the default Touchy GUI. (It can be added as a user tab, though)
Other GUIs take different approaches.

I don't _think_ that anything was deliberately changed between 2.8 and 2.9, but we have switched to Gtk3 which possiby handles keyboard focus differently.
(However Axis uses Tcl/Tk rather than Gtk so I don't _think_ it would have been affected by this change)

Is the issue reported on machines that have upgraded to 2.9.1 _without_ changing the underlying OS?

More
27 Nov 2023 23:22 #286646 by spumco
@Andy - thank you

I _think_ the issue is that keyboard controls are not well documented.  Or at least, not documented all in one place; as you and some others have pointed out, keyboard controls are managed at the GUI level.  So what little information there is is scattered.

Having rummaged around in the manual and on GH I've found a few bits-n-pieces about keybinding and similar, but there doesn't seem to be an 'idiots guide' to disabling  - to various levels - keyboard controls.

In the case of the OP, he is using qtpyvcp and is a PRobe Basic dev (primary author I believe).  Even with that experience it was not obvious how to modify or eliminate keyboard controls to preclude his keypad from instigating a pants-befouling moment.

Having read the responses, I don't think this has anything to do with 2.9 vs 2.9.1 or whichever LCNC version is being used.

I'm using PB on my mill, and using Axis while I finish my lathe, but at least I have a better idea of where to start when I neuter the keyboard thanks to the various folks who've responded.

If there's one addition to the LCNC manual which might be helpful... a simple statement (somewhere) that keyboard controls are managed by the GUI, and are frequently located in some python file... not in an obvious front end setting.  Otherwise, each GUI dev or team will have to manage how, if at all, to discuss/document keyboard controls.

More
28 Nov 2023 01:03 #286647 by spumco

Indeed.  And yet...

There is someone out there who thinks creating an iSaw app so we can operate chainsaws with our phones is a fine idea.

More
28 Nov 2023 01:28 #286649 by rodw

Indeed.  And yet...

There is someone out there who thinks creating an iSaw app so we can operate chainsaws with our phones is a fine idea.

I was able to cut myself with a moving chainsaw blade without a phone (I don't think phones existed back then in 1980)..... I think they deserve full attention,  a two handed grip and no distractions much less a phone :)

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds