Spindle Situation

More
08 May 2024 22:35 - 08 May 2024 23:44 #300163 by Dave2024
Replied by Dave2024 on topic Spindle Situation
Edit:  Never mind,  I wasn't able to delete this post but I just found one of the cables on ebay its called a AMT-17C-1-036 - AMT ENCODER CABLE 17CONDUCTOR will be here in a few days.

Hey how's it going spumco.  So I've had the opportunity to receive a few items in the mail of which include:  A Mesa 7i96s control board, a U3K driver, and an AMT312Q CUI encoder.  With the board I've had the chance to mess around and have it spinning a stepper and have an input pin receiving a limit switch signal, so all is dandy there so far.  Both the U3K and the encoder I received in the mail just a few hours ago so haven't had the chance to energize U3K or anything yet (It was used but I trust the seller).  But with the encoder I thought that I was just going to be able to use some leftover JAE molex looking crimped ended wires and insert them into the connector housing then solder them onto a length of cat5 or an old usb cable and make a wire harness that would reach to the back of the cabinet.  That turned out to not be the case.  The CUI encoder uses some strange end-crimps because all the ones I have won’t fit into the connector housing.  I was going to buy the cable and actually they should have included one with the encoder but it appears they are trying to milk peoples wallets by charging almost as much for the special cable as they do for the encoder alone.  Do you know what those end crimps are called that goto those encoders?  It doesn’t say anywhere what they are other than JAE connector of some kind?  I’m thinking of buying one of the AMT One Touch Zero modules and just steeling the cable off of it after zeroing the encoder.  Pluss the module has a nice molex connector on it already and I’m pretty good at crimping Molex.  What would you recommend I do?  Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 May 2024 23:44 by Dave2024.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2024 02:16 #300179 by spumco
Replied by spumco on topic Spindle Situation
I think that's a 36" long encoder cable.  Is that going to be long enough?

If not, you could splice another cable in to it, but that is going to be a challenge to maintain the shielding - not to mention the probable mid-cable color changes.

I did warn you about the encoder cable being expensive...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave2024

More
09 May 2024 04:26 #300191 by tivoi

More
09 May 2024 21:40 - 09 May 2024 21:42 #300244 by Dave2024
Replied by Dave2024 on topic Spindle Situation
Gosh dang it now i feel like an idiot because I already went and bought one of the complete cables and for 1/1000 of the price all was needed was 17 of these dang it. Shoot ok thanks maybe ill get some anyways incase i ever need to repair one of the connectors or try this again on another motor. I have 3 of the plug connector but none of those crimps. www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/jae-e...nics/fi-w17s/1283714

Anyways thanks
Last edit: 09 May 2024 21:42 by Dave2024.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds