Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC

More
24 Aug 2016 15:37 - 24 Aug 2016 15:38 #79357 by cparsons
cparsons created the topic: Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC
Getting close now...fairly fundamental question, my stepper motors have perhaps a meter of cable attached (8 wires) and I am looking at ways to connect these to the (homebuilt) controller?

What is the general approach, try and put a sleeve over the cables and add an extension as necessary?

Cut these cables short and fit shielded cable from the motor to the controller? (in which case attach a small box to the motor with the connections protected inside??)

I am trying to cope with the shielding issue and showers of metal chips/cutting fluid over the electrical stuff!

Anyone know a source for some appropriate 4 core + screened cable? (by the metre preferably)

While I am setting up/testing I have wired the motor cables direct to 4 pin XLR plugs/sockets but they will certainly not be long enough when fitted to the mill and are a bit exposed in my opinion

Chris
Last Edit: 24 Aug 2016 15:38 by cparsons. Reason: typo
More
25 Aug 2016 14:15 #79421 by andypugh
andypugh replied the topic: Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC

cparsons wrote: Cut these cables short and fit shielded cable from the motor to the controller? (in which case attach a small box to the motor with the connections protected inside??)

One possibility: www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-prod...back-cover-ip40.html

Anyone know a source for some appropriate 4 core + screened cable? (by the metre preferably)

As you are using meters I am guessing you are in the UK:
Lots of oil-resistant drag-chain compatible cable here:
www.rapidonline.com/drag-chain-cable

While I am setting up/testing I have wired the motor cables direct to 4 pin XLR plugs/sockets but they will certainly not be long enough when fitted to the mill and are a bit exposed in my opinion

I am not a huge fan of XLR, I rather prefer: www.maplin.co.uk/p/neutrik-nlt4mp-4-pole...akon-connector-n50gb
The following user(s) said Thank You: cparsons
More
25 Aug 2016 14:26 #79423 by andypugh
Of course, when I first started playing this game and was still trying to do stuff on the cheap, I came up with:

goo.gl/photos/TaCxCDVN9RSjSvwi6

The wires are soldered and heat-shrunk inside the conduit (joinst staggered) and the flex conduit is crimped into the aluminium adaptor thing.

This does involve drilling and tapping holes in the stepper-motor end-cover, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cparsons
More
25 Aug 2016 14:27 #79424 by cparsons
cparsons replied the topic: Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC
Thanks very much - covers look ideal but I have Nema 34 motors and the price *choke*

I buy stuff from RapidOnline and didn't think to check them for this sort of cable - ideal :)

I already have the XLR plugs and sockets - I have never seen the ones you mention but
will have a look at them, thank you - the XLR connections will be away from the mill so I am not
so concerned about chips and fluid

Yes, I am in the SW of the UK

Best wishes

Chris
More
25 Aug 2016 14:33 - 25 Aug 2016 14:34 #79426 by cparsons
cparsons replied the topic: Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC
That was the sort of thing I was thinking about - I have found some polyester braided sleeving to keep them together and provide some protection and am looking for the metal equivalent - my DRO kit from China came with this sort of thing protecting the scales and it is perfect, nice and flexible.

I am loath to cut the stepper wiring short, would rather coil it up and stuff it in a case attached to the stepper with some better cable attached - decisions decisions

Chris
Last Edit: 25 Aug 2016 14:34 by cparsons. Reason: typo
More
25 Aug 2016 14:34 - 25 Aug 2016 14:35 #79427 by andypugh

cparsons wrote: Yes, I am in the SW of the UK

Zapp Automation and Motion Control Products are both in Bournemouth. Marchant Dice are near Barnstaple.
Last Edit: 25 Aug 2016 14:35 by andypugh.
More
25 Aug 2016 14:37 #79428 by andypugh

cparsons wrote: I am loath to cut the stepper wiring short,

I felt the same way when I got my first steppers. But worst-case you can take the end covers off and solder in fresh cables.

Sometimes you just have to take irreversible steps.
Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds