Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC

More
24 Aug 2016 15:37 - 24 Aug 2016 15:38 #79357 by cparsons
Getting close now...fairly fundamental question, my stepper motors have perhaps a meter of cable attached (8 wires) and I am looking at ways to connect these to the (homebuilt) controller?

What is the general approach, try and put a sleeve over the cables and add an extension as necessary?

Cut these cables short and fit shielded cable from the motor to the controller? (in which case attach a small box to the motor with the connections protected inside??)

I am trying to cope with the shielding issue and showers of metal chips/cutting fluid over the electrical stuff!

Anyone know a source for some appropriate 4 core + screened cable? (by the metre preferably)

While I am setting up/testing I have wired the motor cables direct to 4 pin XLR plugs/sockets but they will certainly not be long enough when fitted to the mill and are a bit exposed in my opinion

Chris
Last edit: 24 Aug 2016 15:38 by cparsons. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2016 14:15 #79421 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC

Cut these cables short and fit shielded cable from the motor to the controller? (in which case attach a small box to the motor with the connections protected inside??)

One possibility: www.zappautomation.co.uk/electrical-prod...back-cover-ip40.html

Anyone know a source for some appropriate 4 core + screened cable? (by the metre preferably)

As you are using meters I am guessing you are in the UK:
Lots of oil-resistant drag-chain compatible cable here:
www.rapidonline.com/drag-chain-cable

While I am setting up/testing I have wired the motor cables direct to 4 pin XLR plugs/sockets but they will certainly not be long enough when fitted to the mill and are a bit exposed in my opinion

I am not a huge fan of XLR, I rather prefer: www.maplin.co.uk/p/neutrik-nlt4mp-4-pole...akon-connector-n50gb
The following user(s) said Thank You: cparsons

More
25 Aug 2016 14:26 #79423 by andypugh
Of course, when I first started playing this game and was still trying to do stuff on the cheap, I came up with:

goo.gl/photos/TaCxCDVN9RSjSvwi6

The wires are soldered and heat-shrunk inside the conduit (joinst staggered) and the flex conduit is crimped into the aluminium adaptor thing.

This does involve drilling and tapping holes in the stepper-motor end-cover, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cparsons

More
25 Aug 2016 14:27 #79424 by cparsons
Replied by cparsons on topic Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC
Thanks very much - covers look ideal but I have Nema 34 motors and the price *choke*

I buy stuff from RapidOnline and didn't think to check them for this sort of cable - ideal :)

I already have the XLR plugs and sockets - I have never seen the ones you mention but
will have a look at them, thank you - the XLR connections will be away from the mill so I am not
so concerned about chips and fluid

Yes, I am in the SW of the UK

Best wishes

Chris

More
25 Aug 2016 14:33 - 25 Aug 2016 14:34 #79426 by cparsons
Replied by cparsons on topic Converting Sieg SX3 to CNC
That was the sort of thing I was thinking about - I have found some polyester braided sleeving to keep them together and provide some protection and am looking for the metal equivalent - my DRO kit from China came with this sort of thing protecting the scales and it is perfect, nice and flexible.

I am loath to cut the stepper wiring short, would rather coil it up and stuff it in a case attached to the stepper with some better cable attached - decisions decisions

Chris
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 14:34 by cparsons. Reason: typo

More
25 Aug 2016 14:34 - 25 Aug 2016 14:35 #79427 by andypugh

Yes, I am in the SW of the UK

Zapp Automation and Motion Control Products are both in Bournemouth. Marchant Dice are near Barnstaple.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2016 14:35 by andypugh.

More
25 Aug 2016 14:37 #79428 by andypugh

I am loath to cut the stepper wiring short,

I felt the same way when I got my first steppers. But worst-case you can take the end covers off and solder in fresh cables.

Sometimes you just have to take irreversible steps.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds