Another Fanuc retrofit thread

More
13 Jul 2023 09:47 #275323 by KDawson
Hi,
Like many before me I have a VMC with Fanuc running gear that I would like to retrofit to run with LinuxCNC.
It is of 2000 vintage with an Alpha series servo drive (A06B-6102-H211) running 3 Axis and used to have an 18MC control. The servo motors have the Fanuc pulse-coder encoders.
I accept that the likely path is to replace the drive and implement some Mesa and/or Pico hardware, however to start there is a very informative thread here that stretches from 2012 to 2017 discussing the possibility of interfacing directly with the existing Fanuc drive. They employ a 3-phase PWM system with additional data lines and an, at the time, unknown communication protocol. At the time it seems there was no resolution, but I was wondering if in the intervening years someone had cracked the problem?
I am at the start of this journey and will likely have many questions, but starting here as priority one is determining what hardware I need to purchase.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2023 13:07 #275736 by andypugh
I don't know if anyone has cracked the Fanuc optical / serial protocol.

Do you know what command signals your actual drives require? Some were analogue voltage.

More
18 Jul 2023 18:35 #275754 by KDawson
Thank you for the reply.
I see that I made a mistake in my original post, the part number I listed is that of the serial spindle amplifier. I have not decoded the serial communication protocol for this as the machine is not in an operational state, but the spindle motor can be driven from a VFD so that is likely my best option there.
The servo drive is Fanuc A06B-6080-H304, which is a 3-axis drive the uses the 3-phase PWM system with addition data lines spoken about in the thread I linked to.
My current thinking is to replace the servo drive with 3 x Mesa 8I20 3-phase amplifiers, 3 x Pico Systems converters for the Fanuc encoders on the servos (or does Mesa support the Fanuc pulsecoder signals?) and replace the spindle amplifier with a VFD.
Where I'm stuck at right now is determining the correct Mesa hardware to control the servo amps, the VFD, the encoder inputs, a pendant if possible, and some IO for limit switches and a few other items. I am hoping for an ethernet solution to the computer.
I was thinking perhaps starting with a 7I80DB Anything I/O card with a 7I74 for serial IO to the servo drives, plus further daughter boards for the other items, but I just haven't had the time to go through the options yet. Any suggestions for suitable Mesa hardware would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll come up with a topography and post here for critique.

More
18 Jul 2023 19:45 #275761 by chris@cnc

I don't know if anyone has cracked the Fanuc optical / serial protocol.

I don't believe. we're having some trouble with those yellow boxes right now. Even the fanuc technician does not have a diagnostic tool. This is a very well-kept secret even at fanuc.

More
18 Jul 2023 22:16 #275773 by andypugh

My current thinking is to replace the servo drive with 3 x Mesa 8I20 3-phase amplifiers, 3 x Pico Systems converters for the Fanuc encoders on the servos (or does Mesa support the Fanuc pulsecoder signals?) 

The 8i20 is commutated in HAL, generally using the "bldc" HAL component. 
That component can convert the 4-channel pulsecoder states into phase angles, so no conversion is needed if it that type of encoder. 
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/bldc.9.html
If it is the serial absolute data encoder, then there is a way to read that with the Mesa cards:
linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man9/hostmot2.9.html#BiSS

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds