Designing DIY CNC Milling Machine

More
06 Sep 2023 23:23 #280158 by nwallace

Using a filled epoxy product made for the process, you use a flat reference surface to cast a thin precision mating surface on the underlying imprecise component.  i.e. blubber up epoxy on a steel beam, and press a precision straightedge in to the curing epoxy.  Assuming you applied mold release to the straightedge, your warped, chunky steel beam now has a nice flat surface for a linear rail (or other precision component).

What is an example of an epoxy made for this? I have seen lots of people do this but never found an epoxy that is made for it specifically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2023 23:30 #280159 by johnbl
Epoxies from Diamant (DWH, Moglice) for example.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco, nwallace

More
07 Sep 2023 00:24 #280160 by spumco
Searching for 'adjustment compound' or similar terms may be productive.  It's hard to know what you're looking for when you don't know the industry jargon (or what something is called in another language).

Belzona sells a product they market as a 'leveling' or shimming compound, but I think it's got different fillers than the Diamant DWH stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nwallace

More
07 Sep 2023 00:25 #280161 by spumco

Also be warned, cleaning a plasma table is no fun.

Nothing truer ever said.  I'd rather clean a toilet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
07 Sep 2023 09:49 #280188 by besriworld
What result do you want to achieve?

I don't like this slag idea. Loses the main idea of ​​epoxy. Second, epoxy gives off a lot of heat when it hardens. Combined with steel it will not be OK. Why not buy an old cnc machine.? Then you do a retrofit. There are small light machines 1-2T .

Did you know that linear guides have an accuracy class and preload class?
You should choose a bearing with the highest preload when purchasing linear guide! For a ball screw pair, look for old grinders acrew or used ones with replaced balls. Because the screws that are sold class c7 come with clearance...not good for hard milling.

More
07 Sep 2023 10:23 #280193 by slawekgonet

What result do you want to achieve?

(…)
Why not buy an old cnc machine.? Then you do a retrofit. There are small light machines 1-2T .

This is purely a hobby project for now. For the rebuild to make sense over what I have right now I’ll need to be able to work with steel very conservatively but reliably.

About retrofitting - for a brief moment I was considering purchasing and CNC-ing even manual mill, but here in Poland mills are prohibitively expensive, especially if it’s not a complete scrap (it’s relatively easy to buy decent lathe, but milling machines are far less popular so these not only cost a lot, but also transport becomes an issue)

More
07 Sep 2023 18:04 #280214 by spumco

I don't like this slag idea. Loses the main idea of ​​epoxy. 

I'll preface my response with the fact that I am really, really not any sort of expert on epoxy granite, concrete, or machine tool design.

Leaving out the issue of epoxy exotherm during deep pours, what's your objection to using slag as a filler?  I thought slag would be about perfect for a filler - stiff, angular, moisture-resisting, and essentially free.

More
08 Sep 2023 06:51 - 08 Sep 2023 07:14 #280248 by besriworld

One of the main advantages of epoxy granite is the suppression of vibrations. If it has to be steel, why not make a welded construction ? Because with epoxy you have no guarantee what will happen as a final result . You can check the big construction shop for stones in bags of 25 kg.They should be in different mixes. Or buy a ready mix for epoxy granite from Germany. I don't know if there is a minimum order. There are transport companies for group cargo. Transport is not very expensive.

www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical-mill-lat...cnc-forum-posts.html

Or buy a ready construction Fs3mg or Fs4mg?

one of the best projects
www.cncecke.de/cncforum/forum/index.php?...e-eigenbau/&pageNo=1

Last edit: 08 Sep 2023 07:14 by besriworld.

More
08 Sep 2023 14:23 #280274 by tommylight
Again, concrete and sand weigh in at about 2.5T per M3, while metal is 7.85T per M3, so 3 times heavier.
And buying 400KG of metal for a small mill is roughly 500 Euro where i live, forgetting the fact that full bar metal in those sizes can not be found here, while using epoxy and hollow frames comes to about 100 with everything.
Anything bigger and the math goes through the roof! :)
Also, i will bet that the same machine filled with those two materials will have very, very different capabilities.
And i use water tables, so cleaning is very easy as the slag does not stick.

More
09 Sep 2023 18:00 #280340 by besriworld
Yes, but there is a fundamental problem. It is not clear how he will mix the epoxy with the steel....maybe the end result is not what he expected. On the other side epoxy and stones has already been played and there is information about it.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds