× Forum Header

Axis Configuration Customization?

More
10 Oct 2014 23:03 #51951 by beedoebeedoe
Is it possible/easy to make a custom axis configuration? On the first setup page it gives three options for "Axis configuration:" of XYZ, XYZA, and XZ (lathe). For my machine I need/would very much like a combo of XYAB, or XZAC. No spindle is necessary for my purpose. I think without this custom setup I cannot address my pins properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2014 23:33 #51955 by ArcEye
Hi

Stepconf produces basic configs, after that it is down to hand editing.
It cannot be expected to cater for every combination.

What do you want your XYAB config to be? Are A and B rotary axes or are they linear ones shadowing X and Y? Or something else?

A starting point is to generate a XYZA config, assigning the pins you want to use with A and B to Z and A respectively

Then you just need to change a couple of parameters and it will be a XYAB config.

If you create the config, specify exactly what you are doing and attach the config folder generated in a zip, I am sure we can help you on your way

regards

More
11 Oct 2014 02:13 #51959 by beedoebeedoe
Ok, I thought so. When you say: "Then you just need to change a couple of parameters and it will be a XYAB config.", where and how do I make these changes? is it under linuxcnc program or in the setup config wizard? I will try to get the basic config file uploaded today. Thanks

More
11 Oct 2014 08:02 #51961 by andypugh

where and how do I make these changes? is it under linuxcnc program or in the setup config wizard? I will try to get the basic config file uploaded today.

The config wizard will make a combination of an INI file and a HAL file. The INI file is basically numerical data, and the HAL file controls how that data is used to control the machine.

You can tweak the values in the INI and completely reconfigure the HAL if you want. You can do almost anything you can imagine by hand-editing the HAL file.

More
13 Oct 2014 19:02 #52018 by beedoebeedoe
Here is my config folder. I am building a 4 axis winding machine. X and Y are the linear. A is angular about X and B is angular about Y. X and A are brushed DC servo motors with gecko drivers. Y and B are stepper motors with some generic stepper drivers. I made some changes to the ini file that I thought were obvious, but it only resulted in errors. I appreciate the help.
Attachments:

More
13 Oct 2014 20:41 #52021 by cncbasher
can you be specific with the errors your getting ?

More
13 Oct 2014 20:57 #52022 by ArcEye
Your zip just seems to contain a symlink to the config folder on your system, instead of the actual folder

More
13 Oct 2014 21:01 - 13 Oct 2014 21:05 #52023 by beedoebeedoe
Sorry about that. Here is the folder and corresponding error message
Last edit: 13 Oct 2014 21:05 by beedoebeedoe. Reason: files did not attach

More
13 Oct 2014 21:02 - 13 Oct 2014 21:07 #52024 by beedoebeedoe
The forum is apparently not allowing me to attach files those files...
Last edit: 13 Oct 2014 21:07 by beedoebeedoe.

More
13 Oct 2014 21:09 #52025 by andypugh

Your zip just seems to contain a symlink to the config folder on your system, instead of the actual folder

Unless it was re-submitted it looks OK to me.
(it may have over-written the previous version on the server)

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds