× Forum Header

Axis Configuration Customization?

More
13 Oct 2014 23:45 #52046 by andypugh

Near line 10 of /usr/share/axis/images/axis.ngc: Bad character 'z' used

Well, that is because the default G-code file has Z axis moves in it, and you have specifically made a config without a Z.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config.html

Specifically:
[DISPLAY] OPEN_FILE = /full/path/to/file.ngc - The file to show in the preview plot when AXIS starts. Use a blank string "" and no file will be loaded at start up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2014 00:02 #52048 by ArcEye

G-Code error in axis.ngc

Near line 10 of /usr/share/axis/images/axis.ngc: Bad character 'z' used

I'll take that to mean that Axis loaded, so the config appears to work.

I changed the velocity and acceleration to conservative figures, some of the original ones were astronomical

I also doubt the SCALE = figures are correct
To have a SCALE = 20 on a metric set up, you would need a 10mm pitch leadscrew connected directly (1:1) to a stepper with no micro-stepping
Does not sound likely.

More
14 Oct 2014 00:36 #52052 by beedoebeedoe
Yea I didn't have those numbers setup correctly. It does load now. But the e stop is backwards and I think all the other inputs and outputs are backwards as well. How do I switch between active high/low?

More
14 Oct 2014 00:45 - 14 Oct 2014 00:45 #52054 by ArcEye
If you mean you need to invert the logic of a parport pin, add -not to the end of it.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 00:45 by ArcEye.

More
14 Oct 2014 01:37 #52060 by beedoebeedoe
Tried the -not but got this error.

Debug file information:
Can not find -sec MOT -var MOT -num 1
Can not find -sec IO -var IO -num 1
Can not find -sec LINUXCNC -var NML_FILE -num 1
Can not find -sec EMC -var NML_FILE -num 1
my-mill.hal:39: Pin 'parport.0.pin-17-out-not' does not exist

More
14 Oct 2014 01:49 #52062 by andypugh

my-mill.hal:39: Pin 'parport.0.pin-17-out-not' does not exist

If you are sure that you want to invert an output pin then that is done a little differently.
You need to use a separate line in the HAL file
setp parport.0.pin-17-out-invert 1

Full documentation: www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/parallel_port.html

More
14 Oct 2014 02:16 #52064 by beedoebeedoe
Well now I'm not sure what is going on. I was successful in inverting the output to force the charge pump on, but I cannot toggle it correctly. It should work as it was, before inverting it. I don't think any of the pins are working correctly for some reason. I tried running that axis test from stepconfig under a different generic setup with the charge pump jumped and I got nothing from the motor pins either. I know this setup works because mach3 runs without any difficulty.

More
14 Oct 2014 06:10 #52071 by andypugh

Well now I'm not sure what is going on. I was successful in inverting the output to force the charge pump on, but I cannot toggle it correctly. It should work as it was, before inverting it. I don't think any of the pins are working correctly for some reason. I tried running that axis test from stepconfig under a different generic setup with the charge pump jumped and I got nothing from the motor pins either. I know this setup works because mach3 runs without any difficulty.

A couple of possibilities come to mind.

Firstly, what frequency does the drive charge-pump expect? Are there any LEDs that might show that that is the problem? You have a base-thread running at 18kHz. It may be that the charge pump wants a lower frequency.
The charge-pump component has a few lower-frequency outputs for this situation: www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/charge_pump.9.html

Alternatively, if this is a G540 you ma need to force the parallel port into EPP mode. There is a curious issue where some parports can drive more current in EPP, and the G540 charge-pump needs more current than is really sensible for the expected usage.
You can probably reconfigure this in the BIOS. I suspect that Mach does it at the Windows level.

More
14 Oct 2014 14:26 - 14 Oct 2014 14:30 #52074 by ArcEye

I have found the config from stepconf problematic in the past, where charge pumps are interlinked with Estop

I dug out an old config and the comment says it all
################################################################################
# Hardware estop button
# This is only setup that ensures external ESTOP works and also enables charge pump

#####  net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out => charge-pump.enable
#####  net estop.ext => charge-pump.enable
#      is what stepconf gives you and it doesn't work
#################################################################################

net charge-pump => parport.0.pin-01-out
net charge-pump <= charge-pump.out

net estop-out iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext <= parport.0.pin-10-in-not
net estop-out <= iocontrol.0.user-enable-out
net estop-ext => iocontrol.0.emc-enable-in

The charge pump element of the BOB is largely redundant on my configs now, because Estop is not just a simple signal button, it has
several poles and cuts the power to the motors and spindle via the contactor as well as signalling an estop event to Linuxcnc.

If you seperate out your charge pump from the Estop similar to above and it works, you know where you are.

If not you need to volunteer more info as to exactly what hardware you have, we are working in the dark largely, just answering queries without any specifics.

regards

PS
As Andy said earlier, it is not normal to have to invert output signals (except perhaps to match stepper driver wiring) but is quite common to invert inputs signals
as the logic gets reversed by buffered BOBs.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2014 14:30 by ArcEye.

Time to create page: 0.701 seconds