× Forum Header

need help setting up, and troubleshooting config for a 48" X 48" X 5" router

More
17 Jun 2017 23:43 #94667 by travis036
i am using a temporary 18V, 20A PSU. i have some 36V PSUs on order.

~Travis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2017 12:33 #94722 by andypugh
More volts should help. In the meantime try lowering the voltage and acceleration until the machine doesn't stall.

The issue with jogging working in Stepconf but not in LinuxCNC is likely to be due to Stepcof not even trying to enable the drives, whereas LinuxCNC is trying to enable the drives, but is actually disabling them.
So, try inverting the amp-enable pin(s) in Stepconf.

More
20 Jun 2017 13:13 #94724 by Todd Zuercher

More volts should help. In the meantime try lowering the voltage and acceleration until the machine doesn't stall.

I think Andy meant to say "In the meantime try lowering the velocity and acceleration until the machine doesn't stall."

More
20 Jun 2017 13:34 #94725 by andypugh

More
20 Jun 2017 19:12 #94739 by travis036
I just got home from work, so give me a moment to cool down before i go out to my hot shop.

something that occurred to me, i wonder if my breakout board isn't common cathode, as i have it wired, but may actually be common anode... it really gave no information with it, so i made assumptions. when i head out, i will bring my digital scope and see what kind of signal i am really sending to my drivers. maybe it needs a pull-up or pull-down resistor (along with the current limiter for the optos).

~Travis

More
20 Jun 2017 21:38 #94743 by travis036
ok, here is what i found. first of all, apparently my WiFi does not reach my workshop (Doh!). secondly, slowing down the velocity and acceleration proved successful, though it is still weak in the strength category. i can stall the axis with my hand, with no risk of injury. i still suspect the Chinese drivers are not performing up to the needs. i have some Leadshine DM542E drivers on order.

as far as the correct signals coming from my breakout board, they scoped out to be fine. and i already had the Amp Enable pin inverted.

I still have noise, but i haven't finalized the circuits into a cabinet yet, nor do i have shielded twisted-pair for the digital signals yet. it is still in test-rig stage right now. i suspect it may also be from the PC power supply i am using for the 5Vdc source for the breakout board.

~Travis

More
20 Jun 2017 23:16 #94750 by andypugh
[quote="travis036" post=94743I still have noise, but i haven't finalized the circuits into a cabinet yet, nor do i have shielded twisted-pair for the digital signals yet. it is still in test-rig stage right now. i suspect it may also be from the PC power supply i am using for the 5Vdc source for the breakout board.[/quote]

Possibly the breakout and parallel port are not referencing signals to a common 0V reference. It might be better so steal 5V from a USB port.

More
21 Jun 2017 07:33 #94754 by travis036
Hmm, i will check that later after work.

I did get the power supplies yesterday, so if i get a chance, i will wire them up, after i verify proper operation.

~Travis

More
25 Jun 2017 16:05 #94929 by travis036
ok, to get everybody up to date, i upgraded the stepper drivers to Leadshine DM542E, and i have connected them to 36Vdc power supplies.

www.americanmotiontech.com/upload/Manuals/DM542E_m.pdf
i have set the timing according to a Leadshine DM422, and it seems to work smoothly.
the motors are 1.8deg/step, and the driver precision is set to 1600s/rev, or 1/8 step.

now, i just have to figure out how to get the rest of the settings. I am not at the machine right now as i came in for lunch, but from memory, i have the steps per revolution set to 1600, microstepping to 0.5, though that figure was achieved by using the test axis to move the axis 15mm, and measuring to see what the result was. the result was a tiny bit strong of 15mm, so i figured it was a good start. not sure if i set it up correctly or not.

i still have to get the limits and homing switches installed and wired, but for now i have the inputs inverted so as to allow functioning without them for now.

but it runs very smooth, and quiet, though quite slow.

~Travis

More
26 Jun 2017 08:13 #94959 by tommylight
Motor steps per revolution should be set at 200, microstepping at 8 in your case, the drive pulley or reduction should be set correctly before going any further. Adjusting the speed and acceleration with non accurate settings is useless.
Maybe i missed this, but what are you using? Ball screws? Rack/pinion? Belts? Reduction?

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds