Install LinuxCNC on other linux distributions

More
18 Sep 2023 05:41 #281041 by AkD
Hello folks,
How can I install LinuxCNC (as an app) on other linux distributions like Ubuntu ?
Also, Is there a way to install LinuxCNC without native GUI ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2023 06:16 #281044 by Aciera
You certainly can _build_ linuxcnc on other distros (I still use linux mint, there is also a recent iso using gentoo) but don't expect much help if you run into trouble.
If by 'app' you mean installing linuxcnc as a .deb then you are likely going to run into a fair bit of work with even less support.

I don't think there is a way to _install_ linuxcnc without a GUI.
As for running linuxcnc without gui:
forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...using-the-gui#117042

More
18 Sep 2023 06:58 #281047 by rmu

Hello folks,
How can I install LinuxCNC (as an app) on other linux distributions like Ubuntu ?
Also, Is there a way to install LinuxCNC without native GUI ?

You can just compile it from source, there won't be any real problems on ubuntu. For development and testing in simulation that should be mostly OK. Running a machine you are probably better off sticking with the stock images/distribution. Regarding realtime kernels, canonical charges money for their rt preempt kernels, so if you want to avoid that, you would have to compile your own realtime kernels too, which might be a daunting task, depending on your hardware. I don't really see the point of an installation without any GUIs. Nothing forces you to use it. In principle, you could deactivate installation in the Makefiles.

More
18 Sep 2023 07:55 #281050 by phillc54
You can join Ubuntu Pro for personal use without cost which gives you access to the RT kernel.

More
18 Sep 2023 08:57 #281054 by rodw

Regarding realtime kernels, canonical charges money for their rt preempt kernels, so if you want to avoid that, you would have to compile your own realtime kernels too, which might be a daunting task, depending on your hardware. 

Building the kernel is not hards, it just takes some time. This snippet builds a debian .deb file which should be installable on Ubuntu (but there are other commands that install the kernel for you directly/
apt update 
sudo apt install -y build-essential bin86 libncurses5-dev pkg-config libssl-dev dwarves bison flex gnupg libelf-dev libssl-dev wget qtbase5-dev debhelper rsync git
mkdir rtlinux 
cd rtlinux 

git clone -b v6.3 --depth 1 https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git linux-6.3
wget https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.3/patch-6.3-rt11.patch.gz
tar xvf linux-6.3.tar.xz
gunzip patch-6.3-rt11.patch.gz 
cp patch-6.3-rt11.patch linux-6.3 
cd linux-6.3
cat patch-6.3-rt11.patch | patch -p1 
git add *
make xconfig 
#Set the following: General Settings/Preemption model = Fully Preemptible Kernel
#Save then exit (Click on General settings and select option on the right side.

# These keys override security and key settings to allow .debs to be built
scripts/config --disable SYSTEM_REVOCATION_KEYS 
scripts/config --disable DEBUG_INFO 
scripts/config --enable DEBUG_INFO_NONE 
scripts/config --set-str SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS "" 
make -j4  deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-linuxcnc
Today I would go for the 6.5 kernel (or 6.6) but it would need a bit of work to revise the script.
This is code from kernel.org so its distro independent

More
18 Sep 2023 09:04 #281055 by rodw
The last line is probablymake -j$(nproc) install
 Here is an article  phoenixnap.com/kb/build-linux-kernel

The more cores you have the better! Its very quick on a 20 core i7 12700 but on 4 cores its a few hours

More
18 Sep 2023 14:35 #281081 by tommylight
For Ubuntu and Mint or any Debian derived distro, you can always find ready made debs of RT kernels on the Debian repos and they always worked for me, hundreds of times. Takes a bit to find them, though.

More
13 Oct 2023 22:18 #282945 by NTULINUX
There's also my Gentoo for LinuxCNC installer, ships with an optimized kernel with PREEMPT_RT:

openlunchbox.com/mw19/index.php/HOWTO:_Gentoo_for_LinuxCNC

If you have any questions, let me know!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 3.266 seconds