Latency tests: a tentative summary

More
06 Dec 2023 13:58 - 06 Dec 2023 14:09 #287351 by seuchato
Hi all,
After years I am finally getting some time to dedicate to lcnc.

In this thread , there were some posts ( ie. here ) pointing out, that within the named thread would probably get lost as the thread grows. I guess, it has become huge now. I mentioned, that given the right moment, I would kind of summarize the results.
Attached is a first and by far incomplete tentative .ods table with some initial data. The table itself is wide already. So, without a good reasoning, I would not like to add more columns. 
I added "autofilters", so it can be searched. I hope to be able to enter all relevant data from the mentioned thread by the end of this year. If by chance some important test data is not there, kindly point me to the data and if appropriate, I will enter the reference. There is some test data around, that imho misses important things, that my script collects and prints out. If such data is missing in the reference you point me to, I might ask you to complete it or I might most probably not add it to the summary. My basic target is to achieve comparable results with view to long term sustainability.
I'd like to encourage you to wade through it and comment on it.
The table is not write protected or so. Still, and as I volunteer to maintain it, please do not repost the table with data you entered in good spirit. Like that, the data will be spluttered again and one of the main aims will soon be rendered obsolete.
I will updated the attached table as I go. I will use the scheme "YYMMDDi  LinuxCNC Latency data summary.gz", where YY = year MM = Month, DD = day an I = index (if more than one copy gets published on the same day). You will probably save it locally, rename it to "YYMMDDi  LinuxCNC Latency data summary.ods" and you are ready to go, too.

looking forward to your comments

greez
chris
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Dec 2023 14:09 by seuchato.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2023 00:27 #287397 by cornholio
You could also update the wiki and leave a link.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Latency-Test
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
07 Dec 2023 09:54 #287425 by seuchato
Cornholio
I was/am aware of the wiki entry. And with all respect and certainly good spirit  the entries there were made: it was one of my main motivations to write a script to get data on the pc's in a systematical, reproducible manner. I believe, that's not the case in the afore mentioned wiki entries. So, other than a link to the table I would not like to add the entries there. I hope you understand that.
Also, I'd like to see some feedback on the table first, like:
  • Is it of any use to LCNC-users?
  • Does it provide what it is intended for?
Greez
chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
07 Dec 2023 10:41 #287428 by cornholio
No probs mate, just mentioned it as it's a little known resource, as the docs seem to be as well.

The only issue I see is that there are that so many PCs/MB around.
Maybe if the most plentiful\popular PCs that are available on the 2nd hand market are close to the top of the list, could make life easier for those looking, might be a PITA for those maintaining.

Honestly you really need a Big Thanks for mucking in and getting something like this done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
07 Dec 2023 11:10 #287432 by seuchato

No probs mate, just mentioned it as it's a little known resource, as the docs seem to be as well.

The only issue I see is that there are that so many PCs/MB around.
Maybe if the most plentiful\popular PCs that are available on the 2nd hand market are close to the top of the list, could make life easier for those looking, might be a PITA for those maintaining.

Honestly you really need a Big Thanks for mucking in and getting something like this done.

Thanks for the flowers :-)
I agree: docs are sometimes disregarded.
Regarding "so many PCs/MB around": The table can be sorted ie. by date of entry etc. I guess, sorted by date ascending, more recent hardware gets more or less automatically on top of the list.
Regarding "PITA for those maintaining": I plan to add the entries as mentioned in my first post in this thread. The sorting and so on is up to the user and that is an intended feature.
Greez
chris

More
18 Dec 2023 13:17 - 21 Dec 2023 19:24 #288482 by seuchato
Hi all
Latest version of the table with columns rearranged attached. To use it, do

mv "231206 LinuxCNC Latency data summary.ods.gz" "231206 LinuxCNC Latency data summary.ods"

Greez
chris

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Dec 2023 19:24 by seuchato. Reason: mv command corrected

More
09 Jan 2024 18:20 #290290 by kmeld
Hi,
I am just looking for a new computer, so this table mentioned above would be very intersecting.
But I am unable use it.

I have extracted the archive, but how do I open this sheet (under windows).
?

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds