Seeking advice about stepper drivers and power choices

More
20 Dec 2021 13:14 #229553 by tommylight
I did try to kill a DS1044 a while back, i failed! Even reversing supply polarity will not kill them, miswired motor will not kill them, detaching the motor while running did not kill them, i ran out of ideas!
Keep in mind you do need a small USB device to program them, so do order that too, it was 28 Euro in Germany.
Without it the drives will be stuck at 1A or 2A for bigger ones, and 1/4 microstepping.
Disclaimer:
I have no affiliation with LAM Technologies, although i think it's about time they send me some more advanced drives to test! :)
DS10nn series have a Boost feature that RodW uses to drop the current at speed keeping the motors cool while having plenty of torque while accelerating, i used the same feature in the opposite way, namely raising the current when skipping steps are detected. This uses encoders on stepper motors for feedback wired directly to a Mesa board, so the loop and full control is done by LinuxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2021 21:00 #229573 by rodw
Tommy's method might be useful on a milling machine where cutting forces are encountered but encoders can be costly!
The method we use on a plasma cutter (with no cutting forces) is how Lam really intended the boost function to be used.
In our engineering, we observed that the power required at constant velocity was as low as 12% of what it was during acceleration and deceleration.

With 5000 mm/sec/sec (0.5G) acceleration, on a cut at 2000 mm/min, cutting speed is attained in about 6 milliseconds. After that, there is no point burning the motor out with excessive current that is not required. By reducing the current, the motor can cool while its sailing through the easy bits.

This results in  much higher performance than can be achieved than with a conventional driver. In our extreme testing we found motors only  missed steps once they got hot. By allowing them to cool, they never got hot enough for it to be an issue. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, dlv

More
20 Dec 2021 21:26 #229575 by tommylight
Thank you Rod, i was trying to explain a feature that LAM drives have as standard and ways to use it, but as always, you are much better at explaining stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Dec 2021 23:15 #229579 by dlv
Rod & Tommy I'm learning a lot from both of you in this and the many other posts you both have on this forum.   Many thanks.

I'm just about convinced to see if I can return the 3 unused Gecko drivers.  Not sure the place I bought them will take a return but if they will that'll pay for one DS1044.  I see now it is worth it.  Everything you've both said makes total sense.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
20 Dec 2021 23:57 #229584 by tommylight
You can still use the Geckos, 251 should have no divider by 10 if i remember correctly, i hated that in G540.
I also hated that in their servo drives but i yanked them out ! :)
Otherwise Geckos are quite good, and a bit expensive for what you get.
But in full step mode, they were the quietest by far, so that counts for something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlv

More
24 Dec 2021 16:26 - 24 Dec 2021 16:28 #229902 by dlv
For now yeah I'll use the Geckos.  Tommy you are right they are fixed at 1:10 step divider.  Another "con" to add to the list but I'll live with it for now.

Rod here's my answer to the heatsink question on the G251.   All mine came with was that mounting plate which maybe qualifies as a heatsink?   It gets pretty dang hot driving a 3A motor so I found this heatsink on Amazon for about $20.   I think it'll suffice mounted vertically in the enclosure.   If further cooling is needed I'll mount a couple box fans on the fin side.

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Dec 2021 16:28 by dlv.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
24 Dec 2021 18:04 #229910 by tommylight

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds