suggestions for putting together a new PC for LinuxCNC

More
28 Sep 2017 19:12 #99580 by MAG45
Hmmm, that looks nothing like what i have, lol I have a cnc4pc card, but i have bought 3 and they all seem to have failed. or my computer failed on the Pport. But on that Mesa I dont see where you connect to your Parallel cable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2017 19:30 #99583 by Todd Zuercher
It isn't a parallel port breakout board.

It is an FPGA card (with breakout included) that connects to the Ethernet port on the computer. It would give you hardware step generation (x5), one high speed encoder counter, and 16 isolated 3-32v digital i/o points (6out, 10in) (plus a few more expansion options.)

More
28 Sep 2017 20:01 #99587 by MAG45
Oh, does it then eliminate the need for a parallel port? That seems to be my biggest issue trying to find a motherboard for building a new computer.

More
29 Sep 2017 03:55 #99596 by Todd Zuercher
Yes it would replace the need for a parallel port.
But finding something with a parallel port isn't all that hard. This board has a header where you can plug in a parallel port.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157513

More
29 Sep 2017 14:12 #99614 by MAG45
Does the step config have an option for using ethernet now? I have attempted using a PCI Pport card in the past thinking the on on my MB was bad and had no luck getting Linux to recognize it. I know nothing about Linux other then setting up my machine control. :-(

More
29 Sep 2017 15:15 #99618 by Todd Zuercher
You can't use Stepconfig to stet up using Mesa hardware. Although some Mesa cards have plugs that match parallel ports, and can be used inplace of a parallel port. They are not configured the same way in Linuxcnc.

Changing from a built in parallel port to one on a PCI card isn't very difficult other than one crucial detail. You must find out what the port address is for the new one and configure it in your halfile.

More
29 Sep 2017 15:38 #99623 by MAG45
Oh, okay, is there a wiki or something explaining using the ethernet connection?

Ya, that was where my problem was, i could find the address for the Pport card, but never could get hal to see it, im sure i was probably doing something wrong, just got frustrating.

More
29 Sep 2017 16:21 #99629 by Todd Zuercher
If you disable the built in motherboard port in the bios, then setup the config to use parallel port 0. (assuming it is a single port card that works with Linux). it should just work without needing to find an address.

I am not aware of any wiki on the subject, but there are numerous threads on this forum where people have been walked through setting up Mesa Ethernet cards.

More
29 Sep 2017 16:25 #99630 by MAG45
Thanks for the info, i will do some research and order up some parts.

More
30 Sep 2017 12:37 #99680 by pippin88
I am quite happy so far with the Asrock J3455M setup I just bought.

It's an intel processor built in to the motherboard.
The motherboard has a parallel port header (which I'm using with a 7i43) - a header inside the case, not on the back panel.
Quad core celeron.
I haven't tried tweaking latency much as I use the 7i43 and latency does not need to be amazing.

Costs was $65 USD plus ram.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds