Can i use only two axis (X,Y) to a plasma projest?

More
12 Feb 2021 15:02 #198540 by Ekholm
Hi!
Can i use only two asis (X,Y) for a plasma? I have a Mesa 7i96 card and used the pnfconf wizard. When folowing the wizard, i couldn´t configure the mesa card without entering a z-axis. Or should i use the lathe setup?

Is there any video guides of how linuxcnc interface works? I have only found configuration videos, i want hadeling videos :)
Thanks! /Andreas (from sweden)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2021 15:45 #198543 by Clive S

Hi!
Can i use only two asis (X,Y) for a plasma? I have a Mesa 7i96 card and used the pnfconf wizard. When folowing the wizard, i couldn´t configure the mesa card without entering a z-axis. Or should i use the lathe setup?

Is there any video guides of how linuxcnc interface works? I have only found configuration videos, i want hadeling videos :)
Thanks! /Andreas (from sweden)

Have you seen this; forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37234-plasmac-documentation

You need a Z axis with a plasma

The is also a 7i96 tool to help to get the base working : forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/4109...nfiguration-tool-deb

More
12 Feb 2021 17:00 #198550 by tommylight
You can use X and Y only on a plasma, granted the table is very levelled and cutting thick flat material, but that never happens.
Still, a geared DC motor can be used with a double throw switch to control the Z axis manually, but that requires staring at the torch at all times.

More
12 Feb 2021 21:01 #198575 by Ekholm
Thanks for the information about plasmac! I have ordered parts for a z-axis, but they have not arrived. So I wanted to test the x and y but couldn’t make it to work

More
12 Feb 2021 21:14 #198582 by tommylight
To test without cutting, use a switch wired to float switch or ohmic probe, and trigger it roughly when it should hit the material hold for a second then release, all this with the torch disabled in the GUI.
Of course, this is for open loop systems, so any stepper or servo system with step/dir control.

More
12 Feb 2021 22:56 #198604 by Clive S

Thanks for the information about plasmac! I have ordered parts for a z-axis, but they have not arrived. So I wanted to test the x and y but couldn’t make it to work

Couldn't make what work.?

It might help to post the hal and ini files

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds