intalling Linuxcnc from source

More
27 Jan 2024 23:14 #291773 by Ondrej
Hello,

Iam trying to download LCNC from source, on Ubuntu. Iam following this steps: www.myheap.com/cnc-stuff/linuxcnc-emc2.html .

I have finished the compilation of real time kernel (tutorial 2) I had to make some modifications, because I had some errors, but these I was able to solve with google. (I AM ABSOLUTELY BEGINNER with linux - I have a machine on linuxcnc but now I want to do even some serious tasks, with lcnc and dive into a little bit more).

Now Iam doing part 3. installing LCNC from source and I got stuck here :( :

Basically I have to download required dependencies, which are required when I type:
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

The author has different (older version) requirements to I basically copied all necessary and tried to download them with:
sudo apt install .....

But it gives those unable to locate errors...

I tried to solve this with:
sudo add-apt-repository main
sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo add-apt-repository restricted
sudo add-apt-repository  multiverse

but no success...

any ideas? I continue in searching for solution but maybe Iam doing something absolutely wrong
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2024 08:25 #291788 by tommylight
What version of Ubuntu?
Latest versions can have LinuxCNC installed with a single line:
sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace
But Ubuntu will not install the RT kernel, so you can not control machines with it.
Ubuntu requires paid version for access to RT kernel.
You can use Linux Mint Debian Edition 6, it does install everything with that same line, and can control machines.

More
29 Jan 2024 17:38 - 29 Jan 2024 17:41 #291910 by Ondrej
I think there is some of the newer ubuntu version. Thats strange because I was somehow able to compile PREEMPT-RT, as you can see in the screenshot, I used the command uname -a,and you can see whats there. 

With sudo apt install linuxcnc-uspace I will get only latest version? What if I want also another versions? I assume this will also somehow need git.
But as I said Iam not experienced. So perhaps make new installation with Linux Mint and try again to download PREEMPT-RT and then linux? 
Also I think I had some problems with preempt-rt compilation, maybe I can somehow check if its even working?? 

So now I will probably try this gnipsel.com/linuxcnc-old/uspace/linuxmint18-rt.html.
I read somewhere that uspace is required if I want to use mesa card, which I want to use via ethernet connection 7i96s or 7i92.

thank you

Last edit: 29 Jan 2024 17:41 by Ondrej.

More
29 Jan 2024 18:48 - 29 Jan 2024 18:51 #291918 by zz912
Why do you want to use Ubuntu instead of Debian? You would have less of a problem with Debian.

linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html
Last edit: 29 Jan 2024 18:51 by zz912.

More
29 Jan 2024 23:14 #291940 by phillc54
Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use and this gives access to the RT kernel.
ubuntu.com/pro

More
29 Jan 2024 23:47 #291944 by petmakris

Ubuntu Pro is free for personal use and this gives access to the RT kernel.
ubuntu.com/pro

Is there a guide on installing LinuxCNC on ubunto pro? How do you install the realtime kernel? Which packages must be used for the installation? 

More
03 Feb 2024 23:16 #292340 by Ondrej
So I triend Linux Mint, got errors so I switched to Debian.

I used sudo grub-customizer to use RT kernel.

Then I created folder, where I wanted to download git clone as is written in Building LCNC. linuxcnc.org/docs/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html

But I get again some errors, which I was previously on Ubuntu solve, but now with searching (just fast tbh) Iam not able to solve this. Iam connected via ethernet to internet.

Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2024 23:52 #292343 by tommylight
Disconnected during download, try again and again till you get no error.
Also, i would change the network cable.

More
04 Feb 2024 22:37 #292451 by Ondrej
Still getting same errors. Are there any other ways how to download the same things as with this git clone command? I absolutely dont understand why it doesnt work - internet connection with cable was never problem.

More
04 Feb 2024 22:42 #292452 by tommylight
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc
Green button with "code" click on it then download zip

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds