A little help understanding what's going on with the pncconf wizard...

More
26 Sep 2023 01:41 #281626 by Sparkman61
So after pulling more hair out, I finally beat pncconf into giving me a usable basic configuration where all three axis home.  Nevertheless, I am left with a couple of questions regarding the scale, the proper motor settings, etc. that I think need answers before I can feel comfortable enough to proceed towards my goal of running qtplasmac.

First, it really took quite a while for me to understand that pncconf was ignoring manual edits I was making to the .ini files (and I presume the .hal files as well), overwriting whatever values I changed manually upon re-running the wiziard.  That is particularly annoying - especially when the variables entries in said files do not match exactly with what is in the "wizard".  Secondly, what the heck is pncconf doing to my motor setup and how is it doing it?  The motor calculator calculator, with some prodding, does produce a scale value that seems appropriate - at least as near as I can tell using the "test" feature.  However, when jogging the machine around, it appears to only be running at half speed.  On top of that the movement is also off in the live code compared to what the "test" tool is demonstrating.  What good is the test feature really?

Anyway, in an effort to understand how all this goes together, I created a new profile from scratch using only the pncconf wizard and was able to get the thing homing.  However, just jogging the exis around using the Axis interface, it is throwing follow errors - and as previously mentioned is running incredibly slow (half speed?) compared to how it runs using the test tool. 

I'm not sure if I should just go for it and change the interface to qtplasmac and hope for the best or dig in a little more and ensure that I have a good baseline configuration from which to build on.  I would appreciate your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2023 03:24 #281628 by cmorley
You would need to post your config files to look at.
If you can add in the pncconf file that might be helpful too. (it will be named the same as your config but with .pncconf on the end)

You should get the basic machine working well before moving on.

More
26 Sep 2023 12:58 #281647 by Sparkman61
I will post the files this morning - I was pretty disgusted last night...

More
26 Sep 2023 13:26 #281649 by Sparkman61
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2023 16:03 #281656 by cmorley
Looks like the AXIS default max jogging speed is 1 unit per second while your axis are much higher.

in pncconf on the screen page:
set Max Linear velocity to say 960 (here it's unit per minute)

or

in the INI file change 1.000 to say 16.000 (units per second)
[DISPLAY]
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 16.000

Hopefully that will fix your jogging speed problem.

More
26 Sep 2023 17:38 #281657 by Sparkman61
You said:

Looks like the AXIS default max jogging speed is 1 unit per second ...

Where does that get set in pncconf and why would it be set to 1? Max linear velocity is set to 60, not 1 in pncconf. If I change the value from 60 to 960 as you suggest, would it actually change the value in the the ini file?

More
26 Sep 2023 17:55 #281658 by cmorley
see my advice above.

units in Pncconf are in per minute
units in the INI are per second
960 Inches per minute = 16 inches per second x 60 seconds

Pncconf writes the INI from your selections.
Pncconf defaults to 60 inches a minute (if you are using imperial, something close in metric) which is 1 inch per second.

More
26 Sep 2023 19:59 #281662 by Sparkman61

units in Pncconf are in per minute
units in the INI are per second
960 Inches per minute = 16 inches per second x 60 seconds

Thank you! I clearly missed that in my previous. I'll give it a try and see where I'm at. I am less certain about the follow error I am seeing when jogging. Any thoughts?

More
26 Sep 2023 20:19 #281663 by cmorley
I don't see anything obvious for following error but wait till others look = Peter is pretty good at spotting that stuff.

I missed that your X axis max velocity is 66 per second - so the numbers I quoted will still limit that axis in jogging. The same principles apply to change it further.

Hold out ! you will get there :)

More
26 Sep 2023 20:43 #281665 by PCW
I don't see anything obvious in the hal/ini files that would
cause a following error.

What joint(s) get following errors?

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds