Neue Hardware und schlechter Latency Test

More
30 Jul 2023 17:54 #276574 by chris@cnc
If all of them not working try the kernel from xanmod.org/.
Follow the the instruction and install the 6.1.38-rt12-xanmod1 kernel. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2023 19:26 #276576 by WKS-3D

Ping is OK, latency is not OK.
Hold down SHIFT button after power on, choose "advanced options ..... " see if you can choose the 6.1 kernel and try latency test again.

It has not gotten better with the 6.1 kernel.

Then I should try the XANMOD, or is there something against it?
Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2023 20:36 #276579 by WKS-3D
I tried the XANMOD and at first it looked like it was the solution, but after 20 minutes the max latency went up.

Any other suggestions on what I can try?
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2023 04:28 #276599 by rodw

Ping is OK, latency is not OK.
Hold down SHIFT button after power on, choose "advanced options ..... " see if you can choose the 6.1 kernel and try latency test again.

X  2

Please revert to the default Bookworm 6.1 kernel. As Tommy said, you can probably select it from the GRUB menu as it should still be on your PC. It was perfectly OK, Xanmod kernel and 6.4 was just a time wasting distraction.

These instructions are tested time and again. That's why they are in the official docs.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.9/html/getting-start...etting-linuxcnc.html
The only headings you should look at now is headings 7, 8 and 9.

I had a user over the weekend who followed my in instructions and then ran a 2 hour Gcode file 7 times in a loop on a large machine with Mesa cards without error. That was 14 times.

More
31 Jul 2023 08:38 #276611 by WKS-3D

Please revert to the default Bookworm 6.1 kernel. As Tommy said, you can probably select it from the GRUB menu as it should still be on your PC. It was perfectly OK, Xanmod kernel and 6.4 was just a time wasting distraction.

The latency of the 6.1 kernel I have already posted above, but I have now done everything according to the instructions and this is the result.

I suspect that something is wrong with the hardware.
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2023 09:27 - 31 Jul 2023 09:31 #276612 by chris@cnc

Xanmod kernel and 6.4 was just a time wasting distraction.

I wouldn't say so. Of course the 6.1. kernel not bad but what I'm observing is the Xanmod and 6.4. Just better. I don't observe any big spikes there and the latency to the mesa card is better. And how it behaves with problematic hardware should always be tried out.
My test is very simple.
Start latency test -> open browser and start forum page
Start linuxcnc -> start big file
The spikes usually appear when the browser is started or when large files are opened.

Xanmod

My result: Xanmod or the 6.4. kernel is better than 6.1.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jul 2023 09:31 by chris@cnc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
31 Jul 2023 10:07 - 31 Jul 2023 10:09 #276613 by rodw

The latency of the 6.1 kernel I have already posted above, but I have now done everything according to the instructions and this is the result.

I suspect that something is wrong with the hardware.

This is wierd. I have an i5 with the Realtek RT8111 NIC and it performs well on 6.1. I have also used the 6.3 kernel I built but I try to keep that up my sleeve.
I wonder if the latency is on startup? Maybe reset latency test after it runs for a few seconds and see if it is just on open.

@Chris, PCW does say the 6.4 kernel is the best he's tried but then he said it got worse on a later release. I started to dig out all the links to build it.

I think it looks something like this
git clone -b v6.4 --depth 1 https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git linux-6.4
wget https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v6.x/patch-6.4.6.xz
wget https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/6.4/patch-6.4.6-rt8.patch.xz
gunzip patch-6.4.6.xz
cd linux-6.4
cat patch-6.4.6.patch | patch -p1
cd ..
gunzip patch-6.4.6-rt8.patch
cd linux-6.4
cat patch-6.4.6-rt8.patch | patch -p1
git add *
make xconfig
#Set the following: General Settings/Preemption model = Fully Preemptible Kernel
#Save then exit (Click on General settings and select option on the right side.

# These keys override security and key settings to allow .debs to be built
scripts/config --disable SYSTEM_REVOCATION_KEYS
scripts/config --disable DEBUG_INFO
scripts/config --enable DEBUG_INFO_NONE
scripts/config --set-str SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS ""
make -j4 deb-pkg LOCALVERSION=-linuxcnc
Last edit: 31 Jul 2023 10:09 by rodw.

More
31 Jul 2023 10:21 #276614 by rodw
Also if it is hardware, try removing and reseating everything on the mother board (ram, cards, connectors etc.)
If there is a graphics card installed and also a video card built into the motherboard, remove the external card and use the built in video.

for the record, my script above gets the 6.4 kernel source, patches it to 6.4.6 then applies the 6.4.6-rt8 patch before building the kernel.
I'd like to build the 6.5 RT kernel but there isn't a RT patch for it yet.

More
31 Jul 2023 10:43 #276615 by WKS-3D
My Fujitsu Esprimo is a mini PC and has everything onboard. The 2nd network card is a USB to Lan adapter and is only responsible for the connection to the home network. The Onboard network card (Intel) communicates with the mesa card. The RAMs are new and from Crucial, so that's not the problem.
I have now ordered a used Dell Optiplex for a few bucks and a 2nd Intel LAN card. I'm curious if it will be better.

I have been working from these instructions so far:
kcjengr.github.io/probe_basic/quick_start_apt.html

Is this ok or should I change anything in the process?

More
31 Jul 2023 11:47 #276619 by tommylight
Ok, i had over 10 Fujitsu by now and still have a laptop, even the laptop has good latency and was used to drive a production machine ... till they broke the screen!
So, did you disable hyperthreading?
That was the only inportant thing, other BIOS stuff did not do much for latency.
Another thing to check is processor temperature, LinuxCNC with RT kernel will keep the processor active at states near the max frequency, so it heats a lot. I would remove the cooler and repaste and reseat it, this is something i have to do often.
The good thing is Fujitsu uses bigger coolers, not the whimpy Intel ones, several PC's with stock Intel coolers run at 73 degree C all the time when ambient temp is 35, summer here.

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds