Multiple BOB's and parallel ports, and different driver card issues

More
01 Sep 2019 22:40 #143816 by andypugh
Have you tried:

loadrt hal_parport cfg="0 out 1 out"

?

Maybe forget grep and read each line of the dmesg looking for clues.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2019 18:53 #143921 by kborsum
I sure did...mentioned this several replies ago. .it locks the system up on trying to load the GUI (gmoccappy)

As I said before, I've got the minimum requirements up and running on one parallel port, and I do have manual controls for the coolants. So I'm giving up on the seconde parallel port for now.

The more idiot proof they make the OS and the firmware, the more impossible it gets to make anything the least bit out of the ordinary work. I miss CPM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
02 Sep 2019 23:14 #143969 by Todd Zuercher
If you need 2 ports you could try finding a 2 port card. I've had decent luck with the ones I've tried.

More
03 Sep 2019 18:27 #144075 by kborsum
I'd love to find a 2 port card....the computer i've dedicated to this project has two PCIe slots, and finding cards that were compatible was a stretch. After trying EVERY PCIe card from Frys and Amazon, the only one that actually worked in the PnP environment was the Siig Legacy & Beyond boards...And I've stockpiled 4 of them, along with a couple of old XP machines :-)
I miss CPM and S100 bus computers.

More
03 Sep 2019 18:52 #144078 by andypugh

I'd love to find a 2 port card....the computer i've dedicated to this project has two PCIe slots,

There's another option, of course:
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...ct_id=58&search=6i25

Though it is rather more expensive.

More
03 Sep 2019 20:13 #144084 by Todd Zuercher
For a duel port PCIe card the Mesa options start to look a lot more appealing.
Most of the duel parallel port PCIe cards cost nearly $50 or more, and are a real crap shoot weather or not you'll get one that will work correctly. It isn't such a big leap to the price of a 7i92 ($89), or 6i25($109), or 7i96 ($119)

I am using a duel port PCIe card on a machine that I bought recently. I did have a little trouble with getting it to work perfectly, but it is doing what I needed it to do, software stepping some motors, direct driving the gates rather than using a stepper driver. Using it with the correct breakout boards it doesn't have any problems.
www.newegg.com/p/0J2-000D-00023?item=9SI...uvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

More
03 Sep 2019 20:55 #144090 by kborsum
Thanks, I'lll check those out. Would be nice to get the controls for the coolants back.

I really do appreciate all the help everyone has offered.
Kelly

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds