Step/Dir Servo Spindle Kicking My Butt - No Reverse

More
03 Apr 2023 06:28 #268147 by Mike Connelly
M4 seems broken in both Axis and Probe Basic. I was suspecting the UI since MDI and manual GUI buttons don't work, so wrote a short gcode program to turn the spindle on and off. M3 commands work fine, but M4 is still dead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2023 10:32 #268162 by tommylight
Make a new config, somewhere there is a choice something like " use negative voltage for spindle reverse" or similar.
Just a stab in the dark, not near a PC right now.

More
03 Apr 2023 19:14 #268194 by Mike Connelly
Are you referring to analog spindle control? Unless I'm missing something, it appears the 7i76e TB4 analog spindle control doesn't support negative voltages. That's why I switched over to step/dir spindle control, and have now encountered this M4 problem.

Thanks.

More
03 Apr 2023 19:28 #268196 by PCW

M4 seems broken in both Axis and Probe Basic. I was suspecting the UI since MDI and manual GUI buttons don't work, so wrote a short gcode program to turn the spindle on and off. M3 commands work fine, but M4 is still dead.

I think its more likely something with halui as my Axis config with no halui hooks works properly with m4

More
04 Apr 2023 01:50 #268223 by blazini36
Any particular reason why you're using 2.10? I've been using the same servo drive with S+D for 2 years with 2.7 now 2.8.4 with gmoccapy. M4 works fine as does the UI manual reverse command. Your hal file looks fine, I assume you're bypassing the spindle PID for testing. I don't use a PID on the spindle at all.

As mentioned you might want to try disconnecting all the halui stuff. My config doesn't have any halui worth talking about connected to anything.

More
04 Apr 2023 02:03 #268226 by blazini36
Also somebody mentioned using MAX_REVERSE_VELOCITY in your ini file in the other thread. You should probably try that, maybe there's a bug in 2.10 that needs it. My ini does not have it

More
04 Apr 2023 04:48 #268231 by Mike Connelly
2.10 is what was prescribed in the Probe Basic installation howto I followed, so I went with it.

Actually figured out the problem is MAX_REVERSE_VELOCITY and MIN_REVERSE_VELOCITY need to be explicitly set in the ini. Docs says they will default to MAX_VELOCITY and MIN_VELOCITY, but they don't.

M4 now works in LinuxCNC, but my servo turns the same direction for M3 and M4. Going to put the scope on PUL and DIR and see what's going on.

Thanks.

More
04 Apr 2023 07:21 #268241 by blazini36
Before you bother with the scope you'll wanna check that spindle.0.speed-out-rps is a negative value when running in reverse. If not MAX_REVERSE_VELOCITY probably needs to be negative
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Apr 2023 15:01 #268269 by PCW
It might be that it's version dependent, current 2.10 works with M4
without any MAX_REVERSE_VELOCITY or MIN_REVERSE_VELOCITY
settings in the ini file

More
04 Apr 2023 19:08 #268280 by Mike Connelly
I'm seeing negative values where they should be. Works the same with - signage and without.

By chance would you have a diagram of how you wired your DYN4?

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds