LinuxCNC wizard needed for a not so typical machine program/UI

More
31 Jul 2017 01:57 #96713 by blazini36
blazini36 created the topic: LinuxCNC wizard needed for a not so typical machine program/UI
I'm finishing up a prototype of a machine I'm looking to run on LinuxCNC. I've used Linux for years but the intricacies of LinuxCNC and HAL are beyond me so I need help. I'm using a Mesa 7I76e and I have the axis, limits, and encoder working in axis UI. Typical LinuxCNC UI's are not suitable for what I'm trying to do and I'll need to get a few functions implemented as well. I have a friend helping me but I think the learning curve of all this is a bit much but I think I might be able to just delegate putting a UI together in glade to him and hopefully have somebody on here setup all the functionality. The PC running it is setup with LMDE2 and a newer RT patched Kernel.

Basically the Machine consists of 1 or 2 stepper driven axis independent of each other. Each axis carries a USB3.0 camera with a GPIO trigger that needs to be triggered based off an input pulse from a PNP sensor. That trigger needs an adjustable delay through the UI. There is a 600ppr encoder mounted to a roller to measure the speed of the material running under the camera. UI set positions for the camera trolley axis get stored and run in sequence. The UI is basically a touchscreen display for the camera with controls for the camera and axis.

More details on all of this if anyone is interested. Probably a good project for anyone looking for a challenge and make a little coin.
More
31 Jul 2017 23:18 #96800 by andypugh
andypugh replied the topic: LinuxCNC wizard needed for a not so typical machine program/UI
You could try starting with the GScreen UI and editing it. It was built with that in mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel
More
06 Aug 2017 18:49 #97074 by blazini36
blazini36 replied the topic: LinuxCNC wizard needed for a not so typical machine program/UI
I gave that a go, trying to compile Linuxcnc on my desktop for sim wound up with a make error that I can't get around. I just don't have a good enough understanding of hal or python right now to accomplish what I'm looking to do.
More
06 Aug 2017 21:46 #97081 by andypugh
andypugh replied the topic: LinuxCNC wizard needed for a not so typical machine program/UI
You shouldn't need to compile anything.
You should be able to just edit the G-screen GUI with Glade. (and a liveCD install probably has Glade in the "Developer" menu)
The Gscreen GUIs are in /usr/share/gscreen/skins
(You can open them from there, but will probably need to save them into your user file area)
More
18 Aug 2017 21:40 #97723 by blazini36
blazini36 replied the topic: LinuxCNC wizard needed for a not so typical machine program/UI
I actually made a reasonably decent GUI with some functionality. Still looking for someone to help with programming though.
More
19 Aug 2017 16:20 #97745 by andypugh
If you haven't had any takers to do the whole project then all I can suggest is asking specific questions here.

You could potentially try something like: www.freelancer.com/ but I don't know useful they are (I have never tried it)
More
20 Aug 2017 23:39 #97802 by blazini36
I have been asking questions but I think I would pollute the forum with all the questions I have. I actually did hop on Guru.com and found a Python guy that seems to want to take on the project cuz it sounds interesting (cheap!). I figured I would have the best luck on here because of having to tie python, hal, glade, linuxcnc all together is sort of a niche thing. I just kind of had this idea to build this machine. I didn't realize software was going to be the biggest hurdle.
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds