Keeping Linuxcnc 2.9 current on Debian Bookworm

More
17 Jun 2023 23:05 - 17 Jun 2023 23:56 #273756 by tommylight
I just did another install, same issue with "raspi" missing.
And no, this is not something related to LinuxCNC, it is Debian, just installing any kernel triggers this on Mate version.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2023 23:56 by tommylight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2023 23:33 #273758 by rodw
Tommy, the 99linuxcnc-uspace file is critical to the ongoing process because it sets the repository priorities.

The version of linuxcnc-uspace in the Bookworm repos is a few months old so it's not up to date.
You can't just put the buildbot repo's address in sources.list as the Debian repo will take priority so you won't get any linuxcnc updates as they are built.
By applying the priorities, you are telling Debian that the buildbot debs will always take priority over Debian's version.

In the past it was enough to just put the buildbot address in sources.list which worked perfectly when linuxcnc-uspace was not in the Debian Repos but now it is,  we need to work a bit harder to make sure we get updates from the correct source.

As for your Raspi problem, that's for you to solve as we specifically say to use XFCE as it's built on Xorg so it bypasses any Wayland issues. I think they are solved in linuxcnc now, but that area of Linux in general is built on shaky foundations. I believe it's a massive job to update linuxcnc as it's such an old application. So we play safe.

More
17 Jun 2023 23:41 #273759 by rodw
If you followed the first post here, you should have downloaded the attached file, renamed it by removing the .txt extension
Then you should have copied that file to it's correct location.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Jun 2023 00:05 #273760 by tommylight
Edited the above post, thank you.
It does work without setting priorities, for now, on Mate, but might not work later when repos update.
And you are right for Wayland, it has caused some hiccups for sure, with a lot of things, not just LinuxCNC.
Still, Wayland was by far the fastest on moving forward with porting everything possible to it, so i do not mind breaking LinuxCNC as it is not used as much as the Desktop stuff.
Forgot what was the exact issue with Wayland and LinuxCNC, nonetheless, i would blame much more QT and it's "dirty" programming much, much more. Python being right behind it in the "blame" section, they broke to much of everything.
And Rod, thank you for persisting with ... everything.
Now i have 3 laptops running BookWorm. :)

More
18 Jun 2023 00:32 #273761 by rodw
Yeh, I suspect the priority is undefined without the 99 rules :) Bound to bite one day!

The Wayland issue is described (and fixed for now) here: github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/2264
It is nothing to do with QT as Gmocappy was affected.

​​​​​​Keep it up Tommy. and you'll soon have more PC's running Bookworm than me!

Knowing your love of large monitors, and now you are running 2.9, I can highly recommend you play with qtdragon. Once you try it, you will never want to run Axis again :)

More
19 Jun 2023 08:25 #273828 by rodw
Mods, this can be unstickied as it's incorporated into 
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...c-on-debian-bookworm
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds