PathPilot 2.9.6 on non-Tormach machine

More
10 Nov 2023 03:26 #284998 by B.Reilly01
I'm looking to run PP2.9 on a non-tormach mill.  I already have the flash drive and have installed it on a 1tb hard drive.  I tried to use the guide for running PathPilot on Non-Tormach Machines written for PP1, but I don't have a config.txt file.  Is there a guide written for the newer PathPilot?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2023 02:45 #287997 by phomann
Hi,
can you provide a bit more information?
what hardware controller are you using? Also are you using a Mesacard motion controller?

cheers

Peter

More
18 Dec 2023 22:04 #288524 by LiamM
Hi I have the same issue, have the new usb installed on a HP desktop with a parallel port 25 pin but cant get past the install where it asks for the machine type, have tried to follow the bits of guides provided for old versions but no luck so far, help would really be appreciated

More
19 Dec 2023 01:14 #288533 by phomann
Hi,
I’m not sure you can install it on a machine with a parallel port. I think that PathPilot now expects a Mesa card.

You could try selecting one of the old Tormach models

Cheers

Peter

More
19 Dec 2023 13:47 #288582 by B.Reilly01

Hi,
can you provide a bit more information?
what hardware controller are you using? Also are you using a Mesacard motion controller?

cheers

Peter

Apologies for the late reply, I am using a MESA 7i97T with a 7i76 daughter board.  To be honest, I haven't gotten very far.  I've installed Pathpilot with the boards not connected.  I do not have a config.txt file in the folder specified.  Do I need to let Pathpilot flash my boards with the wrong firmware to get a config file I can edit? I may be bailing to probeBasic (or a modified version) to fit a control screen I picked up.

More
19 Dec 2023 20:33 - 19 Dec 2023 22:35 #288615 by phomann
Hi,
Firstly, I chose Pathpilot purely because I wanted the Pathpilot interface. I’m not saying it is better than others, but it suits my workflow and the way I do things. 

I am also (as a secondary project setting up LinuxCNC on a Raspberry Pi which will use the probe basic UIF.

As to setting up PathPilot, it needs a motion controller attached to start. When you select the Tormach machine, PathPilot try’s to communicate with the expected Mesacard, then downloads the firmware if it isn’t what PathPilot expects.

So, most people choose a Tormach machine that matches the Mesacard they have and a machine that is “similar” to what they want to achieve. You then, have to edit the .hal and .ini files for that machine to suit your non-Tormach machine. Every time you do a PathPilot update, these two files will be overwritten.

The best way around it is to have a backup copy of these to files in the same directory as they won’t be overwritten. I also changed the startup script so that it points to my .hal and .ini files.

The model 1100-3 is a common choice that many use. I chose the 440 as it uses a Leadshine MX4660 controller that has an identical db25 interface to the Gecko G540 that I use.

Read through the thread I wrote on getting my machine to work on Pathpilot. It should explain how I did it.
forum.linuxcnc.org/pathpilot/45846-pathpilot-7i92-g540-hal-file

I hope it helps. 

cheers
Peter
Last edit: 19 Dec 2023 22:35 by phomann.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gerritv, Clive S

More
01 Jan 2024 23:45 - 01 Jan 2024 23:47 #289517 by Vmax549
Hi Peter , That process of a backup file may not always work. IF the update adds to or subtracts from the makeup of the files then they may not load properly. Then you have to rebuild the installed hal/ini to match your hardware. Not always but sometimes. Been there done that .

When using a card that is not a tormach standard then you have to use the mesa config bit file and tell Pathpilot in the ini file what card setup you are using and the name of the bit file.

Just a thought , (;-) TP
Last edit: 01 Jan 2024 23:47 by Vmax549.

More
02 Jan 2024 07:24 #289541 by phomann
Hi Terry,

Correct you are. I use a comparison too called Beyond Compare to check the changes in an upgrade.

I did get caught out on one upgrade.

Cheers

Peter

More
30 Jan 2024 00:26 #291945 by B.Reilly01
I have 7i97T and 7i76 cards, and I'm attempting to get pathpilot to run. This is for retrofitting a non-tormach machine. A Bridgeport Interact 412. The original tutorial does not seem to apply at all to PathPilot 2.*. I have PP 2.10.1. I've tried picking through pathpilotmanager.py, but I do not know what I'm doing.

More
01 Feb 2024 00:10 - 01 Feb 2024 15:21 #292114 by B.Reilly01
Attached are my log and pathpilotmanager.py.  Any help would be appreciated.

edit:  I think the Mesaflash version is too old for the 7i97T, I'm going to update it and try again.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Feb 2024 15:21 by B.Reilly01.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds