Spindle speed sensor for a Bridgeport 2J head

More
02 Oct 2020 13:21 #184570 by rogerfries
Not at all a LinuxCNC question, but does anybody know a good way of mounting a spindle speed sensor to a Bridgeport 2J head? Strictly speaking my machine is a BOSS 5 CNC machine which uses a variant of the 2J head. Any good place to put a gear tooth sensor or something? It would be nice to have a proper encoder, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 16:41 #184842 by tommylight
Some pictures might help.

More
04 Oct 2020 21:01 #184870 by OT-CNC
I added a US digital encoder on top where the drawbar usually goes. My mill has a Kwik Switch spindle and does not use the drawbar so it was relatively easy to do. The only problem with that is that when in back gear the ratio is off. I think PIco did a write up on how to add proximity sensors to the back gear as an option.

More
05 Oct 2020 15:17 #184972 by rogerfries
I originally had an Erickson Quick change spindle, but I had issues with it dropping tools if you got into a chatter situation, basically turning a bad situation into a disaster. I lost confidence in the machine after several of these drops and I changed my machine to a hollow 30 taper spindle with a Maxi Torque-Rite Power Drawbar. So I think I killed the spindle top option, but at least my tools stay in the spindle now :-)

I'll need to search on that back gear option.

Thanks

More
05 Oct 2020 15:59 #184980 by rogerfries
I found some Pics

Attachments:

More
05 Oct 2020 23:08 - 05 Oct 2020 23:09 #185016 by OT-CNC
The backgear is a messy situation if you end up going in there. It's filled with grease. When I took mine apart, I changed out the bearings which was not necessary but I was already in there so I did it anyway. Then filling it back up with the right amount of grease was a pita as the recommendations I got was for too much. It was running warm and oozing out so I had to scoop some out gain. If you go in there, pay attention to how much grease is in the gearbox and how it displaces when the back gear lever is pulled.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2020 23:09 by OT-CNC. Reason: format

More
05 Oct 2020 23:12 #185017 by OT-CNC
Here is the link to the backgear mod from Pico:

pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html

More
06 Oct 2020 13:18 #185063 by rogerfries
I sure like the Pico solution, but it's for a 1J, anyone know if this same trick can be done to a 2J?

More
06 Oct 2020 13:20 #185064 by OT-CNC
Backgear idea is the same.

More
06 Oct 2020 14:01 #185074 by OT-CNC
I wonder if there is enough room in your machine to add the encoder to the splined spindle shaft? That would be ideal as you'll have the actual spindle rpm weather in normal gear or backgear....

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds