Remora - ethernet NVEM cnc board

More
29 Oct 2022 21:03 #255403 by scotta
Now that the MCU is removed, the task of tracing the circuit and getting some functionality working. First step is a debug serial output which is working on LPUART 4. I was hoping one of the serial ports was connected to LPUART 1 which would have allowed us to use the FlashLoader tool, but unfortunately we've got LPUART 4 and LPUART 5 routed to the RS232 header and NVMPG Serial connections.

We're definitely on our way with these boards now. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, RogEnk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2022 21:21 #255404 by scotta
I've also traced the Ethernet PHY connections as well. There's not a lot of good examples using the LAN8720a PHYs with NXP products. I guy in Germany who has the earlier version of the EC500 shared that he has a contact in NXP, and has been kind enough to reach out to their technical support team. Hopefully they come back with some help. 

Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2022 23:08 #255417 by Bari
What exactly do you need help with?

ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/8720a.pdf

You can follow the traces to make a schematic.

I have NXP calling me about the i.MX RT1050's.

More
30 Oct 2022 03:30 #255421 by scotta

What exactly do you need help with?

ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/8720a.pdf

You can follow the traces to make a schematic.

I have NXP calling me about the i.MX RT1050's.

Schematic is traced, it's now about getting a PHY driver working...

More
More
04 Nov 2022 05:42 #255888 by scotta
A huge thanks that have helped support on GoFundMe, it won't be in vain. Ethernet is working!!! 

This has been a lot of research and even some "help" from NXP. I could not get a C++ project to work, however when I started with an SDK ping example (C code) modified to run on the Novusun board, success. 

And now success converting that project into a C++ code base, with the board happily replying to ping requests.

I think the most challenging parts of the porting of Remora to the RT1052 are now done (I hope). 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari, tommylight, MX_Master, Murphy, RogEnk

More
09 Nov 2022 18:00 #256300 by Domi
Hello. How do I upload the configuration file to the Nvem v2 board? And then how do I run it in linuxcnc? well thank you

More
09 Nov 2022 20:13 #256305 by scotta
Hi, this thread is long but the topic is covered here. May be easier to check out these videos.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, MX_Master

More
12 Nov 2022 20:58 #256534 by scotta
People might be wondering how development has been going... Ethernet communication is still an issue. I got all excited when I said I had a working C++ basic Ethernet program working.

The code compiled as basic C, happily replies to ping requests. The same code compiled as C++ will send our ARP requests but will not reply to ARP requests so ping fails. :-( ...?

More head scratching and stepping through code...
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, RogEnk

More
17 Nov 2022 23:17 #256981 by scotta
I've given up trying to get Ethernet with C++ code working and focused on getting Remora ported to the RT1052. Ethernet communication with LinuxCNC is up and running along with the Servo and Base thread and 6 step generators.

The config is hard coded with the C++ classes converted to functional routines.

This MCU is fast! 6 DDS step generators run in 750ns. This step length is to short for most drivers so I'm running the base thread twice to generator a step. I think we'll get some decent max step frequencies with the software step generation.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bari, tommylight, MX_Master, RogEnk

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds