How do I do a manual tool change?

More
13 Nov 2021 10:15 - 13 Nov 2021 10:20 #226301 by Vladcronos
Thank you very much Jan, going to give this a shot tomorrow (5am here). Pretty desperate at this point already. Did not expect this.

Spent the whole day already simply trying to solve stupid problem that shouldn't even exist - simultaneous Wi-Fi and mesa board connection - doesn't work on default settings. Kinda solved it but still very shaky. And yeah, I youtubed and googled the sh&t out of everything before even coming here. Not really well documented on internet aside from original source, seems like not many people are even using this, especially gmoccapy that I chose. Going to switch to Axis tomorrow and start over.

Usually a good documentation should allow a user without deep HAL programming knowledge to use given software. Not the case here, as documentation is pretty useless - you cant just copy paste any blocks or use basic logic, you absolutely need to learn all that deep coding first, in which case might as well have no documentation at all, as it all renders it completely useless. Once I learn syntax and understand the architecture, I wouldnt care less about those instructions. Documentation for GMOCCapy is so huge, and badly written, that I feel that that person should have just spent all that time working on the software instead, apparently huge amounts of time spent on writing that, which serves nearly zero purpose - basic functions work out of the box as is, and for everything else you can consider that documentation non existing.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 10:20 by Vladcronos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2021 13:28 #226318 by d2inventory
I'm sure you're going to rewrite that documentation so it will be really good after you're done, right?

Also Wi-Fi and mesa board works on default settings, well at least I haven't changed the default settings for mine and it works.
Could it be that the problem exists between your screen and chair?

More
13 Nov 2021 19:45 #226352 by Vladcronos
the problem between screen and chair happens for all of us. I don't have that now, all I have is a limited knowledge of heavy coding like that. I expect from software to offer basic stuff like that without user having to code that from what it looks like worse than from the scratch even. Because we all know it is always easier to code from the scratch than to try to find sense in someone else's mess.

As far as rewriting, as I already said, that time could be utilized into making a better code and not into writing 1000 page poems of how to work around that mess by coding stuff. Good code needs the minimum of documentation.

I am still suspecting that going to gmoccapy was a mistake in a first place, which is why I will try the default UI for linuxcnc today, the layout and tools there seem waaaaay more logical and clean. I only chose gmoccapy because I have a large touch screen there.

AFA that wifi issue goes, google that and you will easily find out that it is a known problem without any workarounds really. despite setting 10.10.10.10 for the card, the wifi would immediately become non responsive once mesa is connected.

You have to keep in mind that i am on rpi4 and not on a full computer, that doesnt make the setup simpler, as you can imagine. But I wanted a clean setup where the whole brain is attached behind my monitor and the only wire to control section is LAN cable. Going to put my whole saturday to the drain today probably to do another attempt to make that tool change work.

It is absolutely ridiculous that linuxCNC wont just simply let you jog and reset the tool height manually, thats literally two line of code to enable that, 1) stop disabling manual jog during tool change and 2) enable Z zeroing. How hard can that even be? And guess what I have seen people reporting that and requesting that feature since 2012(!!!) to no avail. Yes you are gonna again say its free, but ffs guys, even if its free it doesnt give it a right to be so half assed and not add basics like that for nearly 10 years. I personally absolutely dont mind paying for software, I actually prefer that. Sadly I did not find any linux based software I could buy.

I know some of you are probably immortal and have endless time in their life, and dont get me wrong, I do enjoy tinkering and I am a maker, but when it comes to some stupid and ridiculous things where I am forced now into working with such half assed things, that can't be any further from creative fun I like having when tinkering.

More
13 Nov 2021 21:04 #226366 by Vladcronos
man, I was wrong about that semi auto tool change.... It is insanely not straightforward and even the file from your link says that it will need manually measured zero at first, which kills the whole point of everything. It makes much more sense in this case to just electrically isolate a vise and probe into the stock to set new zeros, but as crazy at it sounds, seems like in 10+ years nobody has done such a basic thing even in linuxcnc community. Or maybe just not shared, as I cant find any tutorials or hints at all.

More
13 Nov 2021 21:05 #226367 by cakeslob
Why not start from scratch, and get a working configuration using pncconf, and work from there.
Then, without the commentary, post what you are trying to do and what problem you are having. Start reading the docs from the beginning and work your way forward. Linuxcnc is well documented and there are many users who are doing what you are trying to do who are not pro hackers. Linuxcnc isnt the easiest but the docs are very detailed, and also assumes you understand basic computer concepts.

"your_linuxcnc-dev_directory" , "config-dir"

This is not linuxcnc specific, in computers documents when you see a directory called "your_x_directory" it means "where your linuxcnc is installed" Not everyone installs in the same location across all platforms with the same name . On my computer I called it "emc2" sometimes I call it "linuxcnc-dev" . meaning
"your_linuxcnc-dev_directory/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python" for me, would be "linuxcnc-dev/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python" or "emc2/configs/sim/gmoccapy/python"

"config_dir/python " config_dir means "what ever you names your configuration/python" it means the folder where your machine configuration folder is. Everyone will have a different name for it, and "config_dir" is generic term for it. for example "my_linuxcnc_machine/python" , your ini config would be "my_linuxcnc_machine/my_machine.ini"

Im not very good with computers either, but patience is a virtue, and linuxcnc does come with a learning curve. It takes some time at the beginning to learn the basic concepts, but that time spent learning pays dividends later when you are able to make your machine do thing other controller software cannot. I didnt start my projects cnc projects with the intention of it becoming more about linuxcnc than my actual cnc machine, but it is the most capable opensource controller, so I consider the time invested as the cost of doing business. If you are having issues with machine down time, consider reverting to your old setup while learning the basics of linuxcnc and change over once you are satisfied with the results and have time to problem solve. There are several users with youtube channels that explain basic concepts and setups. offhand i can only remember rotarysmp and ferel engineer , their channels are here
www.youtube.com/c/Theferalengineer/videos
www.youtube.com/user/RotarySMP/videos?app=desktop

Another good resource for beginners that is fairly new is PrintNC, to make it even easier, they are using the same 7i96 you are using.
wiki.printnc.info/en/controllers/linuxcnc
"Q - Is there a way to get WiFi working in LinuxCNC? I would like to use remote desktop on WiFi since I have Mesa eth card.
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse"

wiki.printnc.info/en/controllers/linuxcnc/tool-setter-no-probe
wiki.printnc.info/en/controllers/linuxcnc/ztouchplate

There are many people on the forum who are willing to help you with your issues, with the understanding that linuxcnc and its hardware are made to be generalized to work with many platforms and not one specific setup, and setup by the user, so there is no one size fits all guide/configuration. I will be the first to admit linuxcnc is hard, but people will help you, or help you help your self. When asking for help, you will get probably get more help if you keep your personal comments and frustrations to yourself, and not be so abrasive/antagonistic towards the people who maintain the project (for free) in their spare time. They will probably be less inclines to want to assist you if you attack them in every post.

My advice to you would be setup a working configuration, with everything working properly. Once you have that, start with the toolchange. when you encounter an issue you do not understand, or know how to solve, make your question simple and to the point, for example, "I am trying to setup a manual tool change that automatically probes after toolchange and resumes program. I have a setup but I am getting xx error. Here is my machine configuration (this is where you post the contents of your configuration, for example your .ini/.hal and the other files in your configuration folder)", if you pack them all into a .zip file and post that, its even easier to help you. Its much easier to help you when you post specific problems you are having , instead of generalized frustrations.

More
13 Nov 2021 21:24 - 13 Nov 2021 21:24 #226368 by cakeslob

You have to keep in mind that i am on rpi4

You have to make people aware of that fact before they can keep that in mind. It makes a difference if you are using an RPI4 insteadof a full computer. like you said, it does not make it simpler. The fact that it is an rpi4, I would go as far to suggest to not even use wifi, it adversely affects performance and I personally dont use it but I also do not use an Ethernet card. The rpi4 is much less tested than normal pc but Im sure other users are using the same setup with success. You will need to look into your wifi setting on raspbian.

On that note, lets start from the beginning of your issue by posting your setup, and how you installed linuxcnc. Are you using the premade image from the linuxcnc website?[/quote]
Last edit: 13 Nov 2021 21:24 by cakeslob.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds