Jogging Direction Error On A Lathe

More
07 Apr 2017 01:25 #90985 by phillc54
I have just switched from 2.7 to 2.8.0-pre1-2930-g18ad724 and cannot get Axis to jog in the correct direction via the keyboard.

If I put JOG_AXES = XZ in the [DISPLAY] section the following happens after starting LinuxCNC from the command line:
The following displays in the console:
note: jog_order='XZ'
note: jog_invert=set()

Before homing the left/right keys operate the X axis and the up/down keys operate the Z axis.
After homing the left/right keys operate the X axis and the up/down keys operate the Z axis.

If I put JOG_AXES = ZX in the [DISPLAY] section (or omit it completely) the following happens after starting LinuxCNC from the command line:
The following displays in the console:
note: jog_order='ZX'
note: jog_invert=set()

Before homing the left/right keys operate the X axis and the up/down keys operate the Z axis.
After homing the left/right keys operate the Z axis and the up/down keys operate the X axis.

According to this link the first config above should be correct.

INI File =
Warning: Spoiler!

HAL File =
Warning: Spoiler!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2017 09:04 #90990 by tommylight
Check if before homing you have the Linuxcnc set to joint mode. Some configs will do that, namely before homing all axis Linuxcnc is in Joimt mode and afte homing it goes to Worls mode.
You can check that in the "view" menu at the bottom.
The first version is working as it should, that is exactly what you wrote on your post. Or am i missing something?

More
07 Apr 2017 11:06 #90999 by phillc54
I cannot see anything on the view menu about World or Joint modes.

Yes, the first version is working correctly. Unfortunately I would like to use the second version as it makes more sense for a lathe to use left/right for Z and up/down for X.

More
07 Apr 2017 13:14 #91003 by tommylight
Ok, got it now. Did you try changing " geomentry " in the ini file to ZX ?

More
07 Apr 2017 22:50 #91021 by phillc54
I gave that a try but it had no effect.

More
07 Apr 2017 23:17 #91022 by tommylight
You should wait for Andy, he seems bussy ATM, he has several lathes with Linuxcnc so most probably he knows what to do regarding that.
Still waiting for my lathe to arrive so am working on finishing a bigger cnc plasma cutter, have to finish this to make room for the lathe.

More
08 Apr 2017 06:57 #91033 by phillc54
Your first reply gave a hint to the problem.

Dewey has explained to me the different jogging characteristics of joint and world modes in the Axis gui.

Easy option:
Fit homing switches so I don't need to jog before homing.

Hard option:
Modify joint jogging in the Axis gui.

Thanks for your input.

More
08 Apr 2017 09:14 #91035 by rodw
I vote for homing switches!!

I have one shared limit/home switch out of necessity and it is not as good as those axes where I have separate limit and home switches. I can't think what it would be like without home switches (although I have one axis set up that way pending gettting the steppers installed on the axis, so it is not an issue at all as there is no movement...).

More
08 Apr 2017 09:16 #91036 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.

More
08 Apr 2017 12:25 #91040 by phillc54
I would prefer not to have home switches as I haven't yet had a usage problem without them but it does seem the best or at least quickest option to progress to 2.8.
I also rely solely on soft limits.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds