[Yes. YES.] Is there a way to display the current UCS [G5n setting] in AXIS?

More
12 Apr 2020 03:36 - 12 Apr 2020 13:20 #163731 by clunc
I looked at a couple of pages about adding extras to AXIS with PyVCP, but mostly I see how to tie in to 'halpins' to get or send information.

I'd like to see the User-Coordinate Setting UCS (which is visible, kinda on the MDI F5 tab) on the DRO on the run F3 tab. It seems clear to me that AXIS 'knows' the current UCS so ought to be able to display it on the DRO.

However my searches in the documentation didn't turn up where that information might be available to PyVCP.

I also looked through the TCL files, but the fact is I have no idea where to look for information about AXIS components.

The question is in the subject: is there a way to display UCS; e.g., G54, G55, etc., in the the Digital ReadOut display?

Thanks.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 13:20 by clunc. Reason: clarify title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2020 08:45 #163853 by bbsr_5a
if in TAB VIEW -> offsets is on
the MDI G55 will switch the System and show you position
the DRO shoudt show also the numbers

More
14 Apr 2020 02:33 #163916 by clunc
I'm not understanding. What is TAB VIEW?

MDI G55 seems to say to execute the command G55 in MDI (F5) tab. That certainly will put the machine in G55 mode.

My question is: is there a way then to see that the mode is "G55" on the F3 tab.

I'm looking at the F3 tab 90% of the time, and I'd like to know what mode I'm in, at the end of a run, say, before I do jog or touch off.

More
14 Apr 2020 11:53 #163939 by bbsr_5a
the mode is shown in the COMMAND status line
at MDI F5 all commands that are up at present time are there below the input line

More
14 Apr 2020 12:43 #163941 by clunc
As one G-code of the same font size and style in a long string of G-codes, it is not instantly recognizable and as you say, it is on F5.

I would like to see it prominently displayed on F3.

More
14 Apr 2020 16:36 #163963 by cmorley
Without hand editing AXIS files this is not easy nor documented.
AXIS is somewhat customizable but its a difficult road.
Not sure what version you are using but 2.8+ has some docs about customization, but again I don;t think it will cover your request.

You could add a Gladevcp panel on the side or as a tab to display the current UCS.
Gladevcp panels are the standard way to add customized panels to AXIS

More
14 Apr 2020 17:20 - 14 Apr 2020 17:39 #163967 by clunc
Thanks, Chris.

I was hoping to get a pointer to a discussion of how the AXIS GUI is constructed, but "not... documented" curbs my expectations that direction.

Rather than ask for a pointer to how to construct a Gladevcp panel[1], I'd like to ask for a pointer to a location of a list of variables which a Gladevcp panel can see/access.

My as-yet uncurbed expectation would be to find 'current UCS' on that list. My first-pass didn't find a list.

[1] which I'll post here when I find.
GladeVCP in LinuxCNC documentation
BigJohnT's tutorials

My bet is that the answer will prove to be in the first reference, but if so, it's not leaping off the page. There are no references to "UCS" on either page, but then I thought to hunt for 'G5' and 'user coord' and both appear in the first reference (again, neither in the second).
Last edit: 14 Apr 2020 17:39 by clunc.

More
14 Apr 2020 17:48 #163970 by cmorley
I need to know what version of linuxcnc you are using.
Gladevcp won't out of the box display the UCS, you need to extract that information from the linuxcnc python module or the Gstat module. Which one depends on the version you are using.

just for kicks and irony AXIS was originally built with cutomization in mind, it's why the TCL code is separate IIRC the was to be an editor for the TCL. It didn't happen and the code is very difficult to tease apart. Which actually one of the reasons it is so stable.
Other screens are made for customization gscreen (somewhat documented but still a little clumsy to modify and now uses unsupported libraries) and Qtvcp much better documented and I think easier to modify.

Chris

More
14 Apr 2020 18:27 #163973 by clunc
LinuxCNC 2.7 here. (When I come "Back from the Future" at some later date to re-read this thread, I'll be on 2.8 or 2.9, so any hints you can give...)

More
14 Apr 2020 18:29 #163974 by clunc
Qtvcp? different than PyVCP? than GladeVCP?

I sense a pattern, but can't put my finger on it, because I don't recognize Qt and Glade as programming languages. Are they?

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds