7i96 Plasma THC

More
27 Nov 2018 20:06 #121486 by snugglylovemuffin
I'm running a 7i96 Mesa board w/ a Proma 150 THC

I've had too much difficulty trying to integrate a working THC HAL into my machine; literally months on different options... THCUD, Dynamix External Offsets, and TOMA. I'm working on the TOMA system because it's the most dynamic system that is supported currently.

I started out modifying the 7i77 ETH to my system but it was suggested that I modify the stepper version instead. I'm far too green to do this by my lonesome, so any help to get this machine running would be greatly appreciated. I've attached my machine HAL/INI files, as well as the current modified "stepper" INI file. The ZIP files are the original, unmolested source files for the TOMA THC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2018 22:30 #121493 by snugglylovemuffin
Replied by snugglylovemuffin on topic 7i96 Plasma THC
Updated machine file

Error pin "motion.spindle-forward" does not exist
Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2018 01:39 #121792 by snugglylovemuffin
Problem solved, master branch spindle pin has different context. spindle.0.forward

Plasma THC HAL files working, sans z axis motion.
Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2018 19:09 #121814 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic 7i96 Plasma THC
Looks like you have commented out all of the Z axis stepgen setup and signals in your hal. So no mystery why you have no Z axis control.

# Step Gen signals/setup

setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.dirsetup [JOINT_3]DIRSETUP
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.dirhold [JOINT_3]DIRHOLD
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.steplen [JOINT_3]STEPLEN
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.stepspace [JOINT_3]STEPSPACE
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.position-scale [JOINT_3]STEP_SCALE
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.step_type 0
#Note change to position type to work with TOMA THC
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.control-type 0
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.maxaccel [JOINT_3]STEPGEN_MAXACCEL
setp hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.maxvel [JOINT_3]STEPGEN_MAXVEL

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: snugglylovemuffin

More
04 Dec 2018 19:45 #121815 by snugglylovemuffin
The TOMA system was supposed to manage the Z axis, I commented a lot of that out to get rid of errors, I went back though last night and uncommented everything except pos-fb and pos-cmd and I was able to manually jog the Z axis, however I wasn't able to get the Proma, in test mode, to move the z axis at all.

More
04 Dec 2018 20:01 #121820 by islander261
Please post your updated hal. I am not clairvoyant.

Do you have working homing on any axis?

John

More
04 Dec 2018 20:28 - 04 Dec 2018 20:29 #121823 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 7i96 Plasma THC
Its OK to leave those 2 lines commented out.

in THC.hal
Line 172: net PosZ-cmd mux2.4.out => stepgen.0.position-cmd comp.1.in1
Line 195: net PosZ-fb stepgen.0.position-fb => joint.3.motor-pos-fb mux2.2.in1 comp.1.in0

These lines are attaching to stepgen.0 and you are using stepgen.3 for your z axis.
Try this:
Line 172: net PosZ-cmd mux2.4.out => stepgen.3.position-cmd comp.1.in1
Line 195: net PosZ-fb stepgen.3.position-fb => joint.3.motor-pos-fb mux2.2.in1 comp.1.in0

Bearing in mind I know nothing about the toma config but I don't think you should be sending X axis settings to the Z axis....
Last edit: 04 Dec 2018 20:29 by rodw.

More
04 Dec 2018 20:56 #121828 by snugglylovemuffin
@islander261 Here are the current files, it was f-in cold last night so I got outta dodge before my fingers froze and I forgot to tranfer my files.

@rodw I'll see if it helps. In fact, I think that I have been running myself around in circles with this file by changing the thc.hal files AND the thc_parport.hal. I changed the "stepgen.0.position-fb" to stepgen to hm2_7i96.0.stepgen.03.position-fb

Wiring issues, making life fun. In the future I'll lurk moar and plan out my machine. This plasma table started with an arduino uno and a GRBL shield, not really great for HF environments.
Attachments:

More
04 Dec 2018 22:46 #121839 by islander261
OK, I think you are quite close provide the the whole Proma/Toma THC works as advertised.

I have edited your files for you to try as I don't have hardware for testing. Always start LinuxCNC from a terminal so you get all the error messages.

1. The E-stop connection in the hal is wrong if the wire is connected to any P3 terminal on the 7i96 card.

2. With no wiring diagram we can't help you get your input pin polarity and power supplies correct so your on your own.

3. Using a multimeter check all your connections from the Proma on the pins of P3 on your 7i96 card. Until they work at the P3 pins we are chasing our tails in the hal. Look for the voltages to change state in synch with the Proma LEDs.

4. Once you get the signals to P3 working use Halshow and/or Halmeters to check input pins for proper operation and polarity. Then you can use them to trace the signal flow through the hal connections to the Glade panel.

5. Do not switch on your plasma box at this point. The ssr output should now work and turn on the relay to start the arc if it is wired correctly Use Halshow or a Halmeter to confirm you can control the output pins.

John
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
04 Dec 2018 23:05 #121840 by snugglylovemuffin
Holy crap, thanks man. Hopefully this works; fingers are crossed.

The e-stop is only there to allow the machine to startup, I need to actually re-run some cable and turn all my max limits into a single e-stop.

I will check the voltage of the P3 pins coming off the proma with a multimeter; as well I will keep the plasma off until we can get it working.

Okay, I'm going to get to it and get back here with a report tonight

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds