Multiple tools per pocket?

More
06 Oct 2015 09:25 #63468 by Alloy Craft
Hi guys,
What is the proper way to use multiple tools per pocket on a fixed location tool changer? On my lathe, I have an 8 station turret and I use a spot drill and drill in one station. The way I use it now is to manually set in the offsets in the g code in order to use both tools. However this is time consuming and dangerous since the drill is always longer than the spot drill and I have to manually account for this when doing peck drilling. This means lots of math and room for mistakes. When I call M6 T4, how would I specify the actual pocket the tool is in?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2015 15:59 #63477 by 5axisormore
This is something I have wondered about as well. I used multiple tools per turret position on a Hardinge, as well as some other machines, and was able to use a 3 or 4 place offset where the trailing pair of digits was the offset number, and the leading digit of pair was the turret position. this was also handy for adjusting things like grooves as a tool wore and the leading and trailing edges of the tools shifted seperately. we used offsets like 0101 for main tool, 0111 for the second and 0121 for the third, ect to keep a consistent format.

More
06 Oct 2015 22:06 - 06 Oct 2015 22:08 #63500 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Multiple tools per pocket?

What is the proper way to use multiple tools per pocket on a fixed location tool changer?.

This is somewhat harder than it should be, unfortunately.
You would expect the pocket number to correspond to the turret position and the tool number to define the offsets, but LinuxCNC doesn't work like that because of a bad decision made quite a long time ago.

Have a look at the "lathe-fanucy" simulator config for an example of how you can encode extra data in the tool number to achieve what you want. (as mentioned in the other reply)

One other thing you can consider is making your tool-changer use modulo arithmetic or ignore the first digit, so that (for example 5 and 1 both result in pocket 1 of a 4-tool post being selected, or 11 and 1 if you prefer)
Last edit: 06 Oct 2015 22:08 by andypugh.

More
06 Oct 2015 23:01 #63504 by cradek
Replied by cradek on topic Multiple tools per pocket?
G43 lets you load whatever tool offset you want. So if you have a spot drill and a regular drill on turret position 4, you could use entry 4 in your tool table for the spot drill and entry 14 (or any other unused number) in your tool table for the regular drill.

T4 M6 G43 (turn the turret to 4 and load T4's spot drill offset)
G0 Z0.1
X0
G81 R0.1 Z-.050 F6 (spot drill)

G43 H14 (now load the big drill's offset)
G0 Z0.1
X0
G81 R0.1 Z-1 (drill)

More
07 Oct 2015 02:51 #63515 by 5axisormore
I hadn't thought of the G43 on a lathe, Chris. Would that also take the X offset, or would it take the tool radius as the comp value? I was actually looking at the video of your Hardinge earlier, and wondered how you accessed the turret position encoder and drive, I have an opportunity to get my old HNC back, and had thought about retroing it with Linux CNC.

More
07 Oct 2015 04:07 #63519 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Multiple tools per pocket?

I hadn't thought of the G43 on a lathe.

LinuxCNC requires G43 in lathe mode too. (unless you remap M6 to do it automatically)

More
07 Oct 2015 23:43 #63551 by Alloy Craft
thanks guys, I will try the g43 method tonight. I am testing out fusion 360 lathe cam, I already love it.

More
10 Oct 2015 12:00 #63642 by Alloy Craft
Well no luck with G43, for some reason even though I have tool 9 in my tool table, iinux cant find it? However if I called it MDI it would work sometimes but not always.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
10 Oct 2015 16:29 #63652 by cncbasher
add an extra tool to your table , should do the trick i.e T10;

More
19 Oct 2015 12:18 #63917 by Alloy Craft
I added T10 to the tool table and still get the same error. Any ideas what Im doing wrong?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds