PCB milling machine

More
18 Oct 2011 12:24 #14014 by Mike
PCB milling machine was created by Mike
(Mods: I *thought* I posted this yesterday - was it deleted, or did I mess up when posting?)

Hi all,

I'm building a PCB mill as my final year project. I currently have some 4-phase variable reluctance stepper motors and a frame (and possibly an archaic but salvageable power supply), but need to find a suitable 3-axis controller/driver board to sit between the PC, which will run EMC2, and the steppers. I'm quite confused as to what an appropriate board might be, given that the steppers are rated at 0.18 amps/160 Ohm per stage. Are there any inexpensive boards that you would recommend?

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2011 12:59 #14017 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:PCB milling machine
Mike wrote:

I'm building a PCB mill as my final year project. I currently have some 4-phase variable reluctance stepper motors
Are there any inexpensive boards that you would recommend?

Do you really mean "4 phase" or do you mean "4 wires, 2 phase"?

How inexpensive do you need? Rather than mess about with those steppers, which sound rather feeble, I would suggest you buy one of the inexpensive 3-axis kits from eBay. You can buy motors, controller and PSU for $150 or so.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Kit-3-Axis-Steppe...A-220V-/270824395338
As a random example, not as a recommendation.
Alternatively, and even more cheaply, you could consider driving thos motors direct from a ULN2003, though that is not a particularly efficient solution. It is extremely cheap though. (EMC2 can produce all 4 drive signals)
www.eleccircuit.com/uln2003-control-step...or-by-parallel-port/
This does require motor with 5, 6 or 8 wires, though.

More
18 Oct 2011 13:20 #14020 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:PCB milling machine
Mike wrote:

(Mods: I *thought* I posted this yesterday - was it deleted, or did I mess up when posting?)
Mike

Something must have gone wrong when you tried to post...

John

More
18 Oct 2011 13:35 - 18 Oct 2011 13:38 #14021 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re:PCB milling machine
It's 4-phase, 6 wires. I've attached the spec sheet.

Thanks for the links. I have been looking at the TB6560AHQ chip, wondering if that would be okay (and given its price, I could probably afford a new power supply too). I am tempted to scrap the old motors but I already have a frame with linear motion converters in place, and using those would save me a considerable amount of time rather than to build from scratch. I will have a look at the setup though, and see if it is possible to use other stepper motors with the linear stages, in which case I would likely buy a kit similar to what you linked to.

With regard to the ULN2003, what do you mean by a 'less efficient' solution?

Edit: not sure if the image upload worked. Here's a link to the spec sheet. imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/imag0119v.jpg
Last edit: 18 Oct 2011 13:38 by Mike.

More
18 Oct 2011 14:49 - 19 Oct 2011 17:49 #14025 by andypugh
Mike wrote:

It's 4-phase, 6 wires. I've attached the spec sheet.

Despite being described as a 4-phase motor, that wiring plan looks like a 2 phase unipolar motor to me.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

However it might not be. You can normally wire a unipolar motor in a bipolar mode, and then the TB650 chips will drive it, but if you can't do that, then you probably can't.
Thinking some more about this, a variable reluctance motor can't be run bipolar, as the rotor poles can never be repelled by the coils.
This means that the ULN2003 approach might be the only one that is available to you with those motors.

With regard to the ULN2003, what do you mean by a 'less efficient' solution?

Normally you run steppers at 10x or 20x rated DC voltage. So, if you had a motor with a 1ohm winding and a 2A current limit, that would be a 2V motor. However, you would run it at 40V from a drive with a 2A current limit. This gives much better performance, as the inductance of the windings doesn't limit the current rise rate as much.
If you are using the winding resistance as the current-limiting element you can't do this, and have to run at the DC voltage limit.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2011 17:49 by andypugh.

More
19 Oct 2011 17:16 - 19 Oct 2011 17:48 #14058 by Mike
Given the motor's length, it might be possible that it's a multi-stack type which would make it 4-phase. In either case, do you think that the black and white leads in the spec sheet wiring diagram should be connected to the power supply?

You're probably right in that I will have to go down the ULN2003 route; this shouldn't be a problem though. I'm going to have a detailed look at how to do it. I assume it will still let me use EMC2? Aha, I see about the current now. I could put a simple current-limiting circuit in between the chip and the motors though I suppose.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2011 17:48 by Mike.

More
19 Oct 2011 17:53 #14061 by andypugh
Mike wrote:

Given the motor's length, it might be possible that it's a multi-stack type which would make it 4-phase.

Not necessarily, I have some 3-stack 2-phase motors. I have never actually figured out what they mean by "stack", actually.

In either case, do you think that the black and white leads in the spec sheet wiring diagram should be connected to the power supply?

If using a ULN2003, yes, as they effectively work as a switch to earth, so you would feed your +V to the black and white wires (through your current limiter) and switch the other ends to ground in sequence.

More
20 Oct 2011 17:37 #14076 by Mike
Took apart the stages today - with a mounting flange, I can use different stepper motors with the linear translational stages, which is handy. I've decided that I'm going to try and do this via USB instead of parallel port; this probably means I can't use EMC2, unless it's possible to use a USB to parallel port cable.

More
20 Oct 2011 18:09 #14078 by andypugh
Mike wrote:

Took apart the stages today - with a mounting flange, I can use different stepper motors with the linear translational stages, which is handy. I've decided that I'm going to try and do this via USB instead of parallel port; this probably means I can't use EMC2, unless it's possible to use a USB to parallel port cable.

No, EMC2 is based on an assumption of realtime control. USB does not allow realtime control.
I think you can use Mach3 and the SmoothStepper. However that will cost you $150 for Mach3 and $150 for the Smoothstepper.
You can buy a lot of parallel cards for that money, or even a Mesa 5i25.

More
25 Oct 2011 19:14 #14244 by pgf
Replied by pgf on topic Re:PCB milling machine
does EMC2 have a driver for direct phase control of unipolar motors? last i looked (many years ago) it did not. (i have some old code that worked with the old HAL interace that does this -- i haven't looked at getting it to work with "modern" HAL.)

paul

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds