Were to find complete boards for analog servos/enc

More
07 Sep 2013 18:39 #38532 by zek99
I need suggestion of companies that sell complete driver boards that support linuxcnc and mitsubishi analog servos/encoders.
Background: I will retrofit a grinding machine. I have mitsubishi servos (not servo drives, just the servos) and ballscrews from a Traub TNL38 lathe.
I would love to play around and testing different cards and setups but since I have several projects going I need to save some time here and choose a more keyready solution.
I need something like the Ajax complete kit but I am a linux fan and our company have prohibit the use of microsoft-products.
I have looked at generalmechatronics.com plug-and-play controller and it looks nice but they dont seems to have any servo drivers.

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2013 00:48 #38535 by jmelson

I need suggestion of companies that sell complete driver boards that support linuxcnc and mitsubishi analog servos/encoders.
Background: I will retrofit a grinding machine. I have mitsubishi servos (not servo drives, just the servos) and ballscrews from a Traub TNL38 lathe.
I would love to play around and testing different cards and setups but since I have several projects going I need to save some time here and choose a more keyready solution.
I need something like the Ajax complete kit but I am a linux fan and our company have prohibit the use of microsoft-products.
I have looked at generalmechatronics.com plug-and-play controller and it looks nice but they dont seems to have any servo drivers.

Any suggestions?

What can you tell me about the Mitsubishi encoders and motors?
Are these brush or brushless motors? Are the encoders standard quadrature, or something
proprietary?

I have two standard systems that might be used. One is for analog velocity servo amplifiers,
and you'd have to provide servo amps from Copley, AMC, Servo Dynamics or similar.

Another is our PWM system, a digital control scheme. We make our own servo amps.

In either case, if the encoders are non-standard, then they might have to be replaced.
For brushless motors, we can deal with standard quadrature encoders with Hall
sensors, or Fanuc or Panasonic proprietary encoders.

Jon

More
08 Sep 2013 20:23 #38538 by emcPT
Can you inform what motors do you have (power, type, ...) ?
There are several solutions.

More
17 Nov 2013 22:50 #40894 by zek99
Thank you emcPT and jmelson for your interrest. Been away for a couple of weeks but now it's time to get going.
I bought a general mechatronics PCI-card for the computer and argon servo drives from Granite oy. Not so simple as an ajax system but this will run with linuxcnc.

cheers

More
17 Nov 2013 23:05 #40895 by emcPT
As jmelson asked, the most important is to know if the feedback is currently supported.
The PCI card what was it?

More
17 Nov 2013 23:13 #40898 by zek99
The pci-card is from General mechatronics www.generalmechatronics.com.

The feedback from the encoder is connected directly to the servo drive. It should work but I havn't had time to test it in real life yet. Will do during the next couple of weeks.

More
17 Nov 2013 23:25 #40899 by emcPT
It will depend on the feedback, if it is supported or not on the Argon.
Still, if you end the feedback on the Argon and not on the PCI card that you acquired (that I do not know), linuxcnc will not know where your machine is. It will only rely on a fault that the argon can issue back to linuxcnc if the argon is not able to achieve the desired work.

The system from jmelson would be able to full motorize the machine position (this after a successful home))

More
18 Nov 2013 22:06 #40938 by andypugh

The pci-card is from General mechatronics www.generalmechatronics.com.

Interesting. There is a direct link from their home-page to the LinuxCNC documentation for the driver, but I previously knew nothing about the system.

It looks rather useful.

More
19 Nov 2013 01:14 #40946 by emcPT
Strange is also the fact that no documentation is present on the site (at least I did not found it)

More
19 Nov 2013 12:23 #40958 by bjames28
Hi,

There is System integration manual in the Introduction section with HAL examples:
www.generalmechatronics.com/en/linuxcnc

Direct link to the downloadable pdf:
www.generalmechatronics.com/doc/PCI_UM_eng.pdf

Do you mean other type of documentation?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.825 seconds