Lenze EVS 9300 servo drive

More
27 Aug 2019 06:45 #143286 by Longbow
I have a 3 axis robot. The servo motors and drives are from Lenze. It uses resolvers as a feedback. The servo modules are Lenze EVS-9322

I'm trying to figure out how to control this servo drive.

It appears to have the positional loop closed in the drive. The controller itself is an old i386 and it communicates to the drives via CAN bus with some sort of protocol?

On the servo drive the X4 connector is for CAN (gnd, Lo,Hi) and the X7 is for the resolver interface.
X5 is for drive enable and other signals like motor temperature, axis on limit switch etc.
X6 is for analog input +-10V

As I see it, I would need some sort of resolver card. 7i49? + 5i23. But what about commutation. If I remove the X7 resolver connector from the drive to use it in linuxcnc, will it turn the motor?

Manual of the EVS servoDrive tinyurl.com/y69hpd4r

Any suggestions? via CAN protocol maybe?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2019 08:21 #143294 by tommylight
Check if by any chance they have quadrature outputs, plenty of connectors there.
Even if they do not, no worries, Mesa has something for resolvers also, but i will leave that answer to PCW or Andy.
There are plenty of Mesa boards you cam use to controll them, usually i use one of 5i25 or 6i25 or 7i92 together with 7i77, works perfectly for incremental encoder feedback, but there might be other options more suitable for you.

More
27 Aug 2019 09:41 #143299 by Longbow
Replied by Longbow on topic Lenze EVS 9300 servo drive
@tommylight:Yes, I successfully used the combination of 6i25+7i77 with incremental encoders or glass scales and servo motors. Now this resolver thing is a new one to me :)

Regarding the quadrature output I do not seem to find it: (see attached photo)
Attachments:

More
27 Aug 2019 10:00 #143302 by tommylight
Oh, nice!
It does have an encoder connector X8 but it is for feedback from motor as far as i can tell.
Have a look at mesanet.com, i am pretty sure they have something for that, too.

More
27 Aug 2019 10:09 #143304 by Longbow
I looked up on this X4 connection(CAN) and it appears to use the CANopen protocol.

I read somewhere here on forums that it can be done, or it was etherCat?

More
27 Aug 2019 11:25 #143314 by tommylight
Ethercat works nicely with linuxcnc, i am not aware of Can working although i do recall reading about it here regarding making that work,, so maybe someone already did something.

More
27 Aug 2019 13:15 - 27 Aug 2019 13:21 #143323 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Lenze EVS 9300 servo drive

I have a 3 axis robot. The servo motors and drives are from Lenze. It uses resolvers as a feedback. The servo modules are Lenze EVS-9322

I'm trying to figure out how to control this servo drive.

It appears to have the positional loop closed in the drive. The controller itself is an old i386 and it communicates to the drives via CAN bus with some sort of protocol?

On the servo drive the X4 connector is for CAN (gnd, Lo,Hi) and the X7 is for the resolver interface.
X5 is for drive enable and other signals like motor temperature, axis on limit switch etc.
X6 is for analog input +-10V

As I see it, I would need some sort of resolver card. 7i49? + 5i23. But what about commutation. If I remove the X7 resolver connector from the drive to use it in linuxcnc, will it turn the motor?

Manual of the EVS servoDrive tinyurl.com/y69hpd4r

Any suggestions? via CAN protocol maybe?

X10 is your encoder out. A /A, B /B, Z /Z, Should connect right into mesa encoder input.
I dont know if this is reliant on X9 though.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2019 13:21 by bevins.

More
27 Aug 2019 13:34 #143324 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Lenze EVS 9300 servo drive
Pretty sure it can do both analog with quadrature out (on X10) and step/dir
(actually quadrature) in on X9

More
28 Aug 2019 23:04 #143500 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Lenze EVS 9300 servo drive
Do these motors look familiar?

photos.app.goo.gl/wBBZnsAunq5y1rA36

I run those with a 7i49 and a set of 8i20 drives. But this will not work for you.

You have the drives, and should connect the resolvers to the drives, not to a 7i49. If you keep those drives then the 7i49 is no help to you. And you should keep the drives.

If the system takes +/-10V input then it is presumably working in velocity mode. And velocity mode drives only work if there is postion feedback to the controller. So you probably need to look for quadrature output from the drives.
At that point you have a conventional (old school) analogue controlled servo with quadrature feedback. which is typically 7i77 territory, but there are other options (and other suppliers)

More
29 Aug 2019 05:46 #143529 by Longbow
Success!

I have borrowed a Lenze programmator/keypad thing and I was able to connect to each individual drive. Then scrolling trough menus I was able to find the mode parameter C0005. I set it to 1000. Which means velocity mode with external voltage. Prior it was set to 22000 which is something abs/CAN bus control.

I then disconnected the CAN bus and aux digital in/out pins and I the drive now "boots" from the terminal pins with the enable being pin 28.

I tried to move the motors/robot with +-10v signal from a variable PSU and it worked! With either one of the digital input E1 or E2 set to high. (direction of rotation) The default setting was both HIGH and in that scenario it will not move.

I then checked for quadrature output on X10 and it's there! - This is the default Lenze setting.

Now to order some 6i25 and 7i77 and I should be set.

Thank you guys!
Attachments:

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds