axis window size

More
25 Nov 2016 19:38 - 25 Nov 2016 19:39 #83311 by gmouer
axis window size was created by gmouer
I have a problem with the bottom status line of axis being off the bottom of the viewable area. This only happens with linuxcnc and axis, all other applications fit the screen perfectly as does the desktop itself. This is true both with fullscreen selected or not. In pncconf there are settings for height and width of the axis screen but I cannot seem to get them to accept a entry, they immediately return to zero. Also, I have no idea what sort of values are acceptable or the units of measurement it expects.

Any suggestions?
George
Last edit: 25 Nov 2016 19:39 by gmouer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2016 10:32 #83332 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic axis window size
Are you using any Pyvcp panel? That is the only reason to make Axis Gui to get out of visible area on screen.
Try to start an included config that uses Axis Gui and check if it fits. Having a lot of things vertically on Pyvcp will make Axis shift downwards. Also what is your screen resolution? Anything lower than 1024X768 is not enough to work comfortably.

More
26 Nov 2016 12:22 - 26 Nov 2016 12:24 #83338 by gmouer
Replied by gmouer on topic axis window size

Are you using any Pyvcp panel? That is the only reason to make Axis Gui to get out of visible area on screen.
Try to start an included config that uses Axis Gui and check if it fits. Having a lot of things vertically on Pyvcp will make Axis shift downwards. Also what is your screen resolution? Anything lower than 1024X768 is not enough to work comfortably.

I had the same problem and ended up reinstalling linuxcnc from the live cd for other reasons, the new install does the same thing with the bottom status bar. It was a clean install and I only ran the axis sim at that point. I initially ran 1024x768 but later went to 1680x1050 with no difference. It is a 22 inch monitor, widescreen type, 16:9 aspect ratio. Using a vga cable interface. Monitor does NOT have height adjustment at the monitor unfortunately.

No pyvcp implemented at all.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2016 12:24 by gmouer.

More
26 Nov 2016 12:31 #83339 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic axis window size
Can you post a screenshot? I can only think of GL as a cause, but i doubt it would be causing only that issue.

More
26 Nov 2016 13:21 #83340 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic axis window size
I think I may have seen this problem before myself, but I can't remember what work around I might have used to correct it. Is it that the tool bar is getting in the way and covering up part of the Axis window or pushing it off of the screen?

More
26 Nov 2016 13:47 - 26 Nov 2016 13:51 #83341 by gmouer

I think I may have seen this problem before myself, but I can't remember what work around I might have used to correct it. Is it that the tool bar is getting in the way and covering up part of the Axis window or pushing it off of the screen?

Axis screen is normal, nothing covered up. The height of the axis screen is proper on the top but extends off the visible area on the bottom, making the bottom status bar off screen. I can drag the screen up and the bottom status bar appears but the top then goes under the desktop menu bar making the window icons for fullscreen/minimize/close all disappear under the desktop menu bar.

Again, it is only the axis window that shows this behavior. All other applications and the desktop itself display normally full screen. At first I thought it was the widescreen aspect ratio causing this but then found all the other apps display normal.

Thanks,
George
Last edit: 26 Nov 2016 13:51 by gmouer.

More
26 Nov 2016 15:21 #83343 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic axis window size
What distro are you using? What desktop environment?

More
26 Nov 2016 15:30 #83344 by gmouer

What distro are you using? What desktop environment?

A clean install off the live cd. I then took all the updates which brought me to linuxcnc 2.7.8 Distro is the standard wheezy from the live cd. The behavior of the screen was noted right after the install with nothing modified other than the updating. I just ran the axis mill SIM.

Worth noting, I did the live cd install because I had master 2.8 pre and it caused problems with the new NativeCAM so I did a clean install off the live cd and updated to the 2.7.8 latest release. Master 2.8 pre exibited the same video problem, identical.

Thanks
George

More
26 Nov 2016 23:02 #83353 by gmouer
Just noticed I didn't answer part of your question. The live cd is Debian 7 using XFCE desktop.

More
27 Nov 2016 16:45 - 27 Nov 2016 16:46 #83368 by gmouer
Here is a actual photo of the screen. A pic is worth a thousand words as they say.
It cuts the bottom axis line off also if I hide both the top and bottom menus.

George
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2016 16:46 by gmouer.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds