PnCConf Wizard doesn't launch

More
03 Aug 2021 02:04 - 03 Aug 2021 02:05 #216773 by CFE
Hi all,

I am setting up a computer to control our plasma cutter through a MESA 7i76E card. I got the ethernet connection established between the computer and the card, and I get info about the card when I go "mesaflash --device 7i76e --addr 10.10.10.10 --readhmid" in a terminal. So far, so good. But the PnCConf wizard doesn't launch from the applications menu, and if I try "pncconf" in a terminal then I get the following message :
/usr/bin/pncconf:43: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk as gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pncconf", line 45, in <module>
    import gtk.glade
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gtk.glade'

We have a buildbot installation on buster, master-rtpreempt, 2.9, and I have installed glade with "sudo apt-get install glade" in a terminal.  How do we get the PnCConf wizard to work ?

Cheers, Peter
Last edit: 03 Aug 2021 02:05 by CFE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2021 04:42 #216781 by cmorley
Looks like pncconf is broken in master now do to the python2/ python3 change.

I'm not sure why it was partially converted to python3.
This won't be quick to fix - sorry.

More
03 Aug 2021 11:17 #216801 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic PnCConf Wizard doesn't launch
In the absence of pncconf. could you make a new folder under configs and copy these files into it.
This is based on an old example I shared here
forum.linuxcnc.org/47-hal-examples/34072...ranch-gantry-example
But then we went multi spindle so the original hal file is wrong. I think I updated the attached hal file to use spindle.0 but don't have a 7i76e on this PC to test.
Time to learn how to edit hal and ini files. (Just like I had to before pncconf supported the 7i76e)

Please let me know how you get on
Attachments:

More
03 Aug 2021 12:35 #216807 by BigJohnT
My configuration tools all work with Python 3, you should be able to get a working configuration with the 7i76e configuration tool.

gnipsel.com/mesa/index.html

JT

More
03 Aug 2021 13:29 #216816 by BigJohnT
Another option is to do a git checkout of 2.8 and build a RIP. Then run Pncconf from the RIP to build your configuration. Interesting I can't find any mention of how to build a RIP in the documents...

JT

More
03 Aug 2021 13:34 #216817 by BigJohnT

More
03 Aug 2021 14:44 #216837 by bevins
What? Pncconf is broken? that blows.

Time to check JT's stuff out. I have another plasma machine next week to do.

Anything else broken we need to know about?

IS 2.8 QTplasmac updated to latest or we need master for that?

More
03 Aug 2021 17:16 #216853 by robertspark
could install from *.Deb files of previous buildbot installs too.... that is how I am upgrading to test and downgrade to run stuff.... not happy about changes but heyho such is a development release and the nature of old applications no longer being supported..... 

​​​

More
03 Aug 2021 23:16 #216874 by CFE
Replied by CFE on topic PnCConf Wizard doesn't launch
Hi all,

Thank you for the responses. I have used our old computer which is currently driving the plasma cutter to make up configuration files using PnCConf. I will copy them to the new computer and manually edit the ini and hal files, that is for us the path of least trouble.

We are going from using a parallel port setup to the MESA ethernet setup, and I see in the hal files pin and signal names we are not familiar with. Is there a document somewhere which explains which pin/signal does what ? That will be a great help to understand the workings of the hal files for the MESA card.

Cheers, Peter

More
04 Aug 2021 09:08 #216895 by tommylight
There are sim configs included with LinuxCNC for Mesa boards, have a look at those as a starting point.

Moderators: cmorley
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds