Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
21 Jan 2013 03:43 - 21 Jan 2013 03:43 #28890 by cmorley

Well I'll defer to consensus about whether it should be allowed.

but if it popped a dialog (with 'override' title) it probably would have been more obvious yes?

Yes that would have been fine.

A couple more questions about jog increments.
1. When set to continuous, gscreen.jog-increment.out is zero. This essentially disables the panel-mount jogwheel, because it uses the increment from gscreen. In our setup the MPG uses its own set of increments so it still works. How about if gscreen.jog-increment.out used the largest jog increment if continuous is set. I wonder if others would use a similar setup, and have any comments about this.
2. When touching off the work or a tool, we normally start with the largest jog increment and then go to lower increments as we get closer, winding up with a 0.0001" increment. It's a bit cumbersome to go into Set Override mode to change the increment and back out to change the axis.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Karl

1) Interesting! That was they way it was designed. so that while button or joystick jogging. bumping the MPG wouldn't change anything.
let me think on that though probably an INI setting for continues mpg rate or something...
2) Yes I can see how that's a bit annoying. But here starts the problem with GUIs - everyone has different needs! :)
Gscreen is a fairly generic machine control screen made so someone with the minimum hardware can still run something.
By adding more hardware make it much easier to do things IMHO.

For me I would add a rotary switch for increment selection. something like 8 or ten positions. I like the tactile feel and the know-position-without-looking utility. Others might like push buttons or MPG adjustments.

The other way is to build a custom screen with buttons for direct jog increment selection. You have to find a spot that make sense and has room.
depending on your screen resolution you may have room vertically - but every one should have room horizontally.

I would add direct selection but for two reasons;
1) Where do I put but them that makes sense - remembering that the screen can have 9 axis showing, so some obvious spots are used up.
2) a minor reason but if someone has a physical selection switch/dial then the opposite is true - he won't want the selection buttons! by doing it the way I did the selection is somewhat hidden if you don't need it but is there if you do. A compromise.

I'm interested in ideas though. It is a complaint I bet I'm going to hear quite a bit :0

Chris M
Last edit: 21 Jan 2013 03:43 by cmorley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2013 20:32 #28918 by tjamscad
Chris,

As of last Friday I had Gscreen running in simulator with no problems, this morning I closed it down and did git pull. It showed several updates to gscreen and when i oped gscreen up and turned machine on I recived an error. Can you tell what this is?

More
22 Jan 2013 03:16 #28930 by cmorley
I need to know the error.
I have not seen this.

Chris M

More
22 Jan 2013 03:48 #28931 by cmorley
hmmm it seems i can add pics anymore - anyone else have this problem?

More
22 Jan 2013 04:31 - 22 Jan 2013 04:32 #28932 by tjamscad

hmmm it seems i can add pics anymore - anyone else have this problem?

It seems that I have this problem. I thought the screen shot of the error was posted.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107049308714635768445/albums/5836002501270133665?authkey=CIv5hre7oLKUcA
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 04:32 by tjamscad.

More
22 Jan 2013 05:27 - 22 Jan 2013 05:28 #28934 by cmorley
ahh you made a separate config to work in.

You need to copy the industrial.glade and industrial_handler.py file to your personal config folder.
i don't think i did anything to the INI file...

I think that should do it.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 05:28 by cmorley.

More
22 Jan 2013 06:29 #28935 by tjamscad

ahh you made a separate config to work in.

You need to copy the industrial.glade and industrial_handler.py file to your personal config folder.
i don't think i did anything to the INI file...

I think that should do it.

That could have been it. I just rebuild LinuxCNC when something goes wrong. I have a script file I run in termninal and it does the work.

More
22 Jan 2013 16:49 #28944 by cmorley
ok I added an offset page to Gscreen.

I guess it's kinda boring looking but it does show ALL the offsets.
It's a gladeVCP widget too if anyone is building their own stuff.

I see I forgot to give the tooledit page the option to change metric systems... ill get that later I guess.

More
23 Jan 2013 22:24 #29026 by tjamscad
Chris,

1. The at speed indicator is still green before it is set, please make it black unless it is at speed.

2. In program mode the EDIT doesn't toggle to EXIT when edit is selected.

3. MDI can't have multiple lines of commands because of LinuxCNC right?

More
23 Jan 2013 22:52 #29028 by BigJohnT

Chris,

3. MDI can't have multiple lines of commands because of LinuxCNC right?

You could do it like my DX-32 does you enter all the lines of G code you want into the MDI window and it just creates a file MDI.TXT (it uses the TXT extension) and runs that.

John

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds