Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
05 Feb 2013 07:01 #29612 by cmorley
Well this process of customizing for industrial was meant to exerciser the process of user changes so I could make sure Gscreen could handle them.

It was exactly what was needed - I have a pretty good idea how to program Gscreen so it is very flexible.

The big changes of industrial seem to have started to die down and now it's starting to be personal choices rather then 'this is wayis tons better'

Between Industrial and Norbert's Gmoccapy we have some good functionality and infrastructure. I'm happy.

Soon it will get to the point where yes if you want _that_ change you'll have to do it on your copy.
But we are a long way from any 2.6 release so there is still plenty of room for changes.

Yes I agree a lock / unlock would be helpful

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2013 07:07 #29614 by cmorley
Now it needs industrial machinists testing.

Anyone using any of Gscreen's different skins please give feedback of what you like and don't like. or what you need that missing.

at the moment I know that tool setting to a common point is missing, I'm just not sure how best to do it.
AXIS uses touch-off and you pre-select whether its for origin setting or tool setting.
I would like something more obvious.
I could have the tool setting buttons show up when the tool table is showing ....

Chris M

More
05 Feb 2013 07:24 #29615 by cmorley
How does every one feel about losing the entry widget and just having the numerical keyboard pop up every time you need to set something?

More
05 Feb 2013 08:23 #29616 by karlkec

at the moment I know that tool setting to a common point is missing, I'm just not sure how best to do it.
AXIS uses touch-off and you pre-select whether its for origin setting or tool setting.
I could have the tool setting buttons show up when the tool table is showing ....
Chris M

I think having it on the tool table page would work well. Include the ability to change tools from there too (tool index button). Could even highlight the row in the tool table matrix for the currently-loaded tool. When a tool is touched off the values in the tool table matrix should update. My thinking is that the tool table page would have everything necessary to set up all the tools in the changer.

Karl

More
05 Feb 2013 08:28 #29618 by karlkec

How does every one feel about losing the entry widget and just having the numerical keyboard pop up every time you need to set something?

I'm good with this.
Often the same value is entered several times. What do people think of having it default to the value last entered? Pressing one button (clr) gets you back to nothing.

Karl

More
05 Feb 2013 09:47 #29619 by PCW
Rather than having to type something to clear the last entry,
how about using the up/down cursor keys to select from the entry history
so to get to the previous entry, you hit the up arrow. hitting the up arrow again
goes back through the history list and hitting down goes forward (just like the shell)

More
05 Feb 2013 14:28 - 05 Feb 2013 14:31 #29622 by cmorley
That's an interesting idea.

But I wonder how often it's needed.
even with my limited cnc experience, I bet just remembering the last number would be enough.

Also I'd have to add up / down keys to the pop up keyboard.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2013 14:31 by cmorley.

More
05 Feb 2013 17:41 #29629 by andypugh

And I forget to pre-select so often that I am probably going to edit Axis on my lathe to have two separate buttons.
(Because if you get it wrong, the whole tool table ends up wrong)

More
05 Feb 2013 20:44 #29639 by tjamscad

Sounds good

More
05 Feb 2013 20:45 #29640 by tjamscad

Chris M

I think having it on the tool table page would work well. Include the ability to change tools from there too (tool index button). Could even highlight the row in the tool table matrix for the currently-loaded tool. When a tool is touched off the values in the tool table matrix should update. My thinking is that the tool table page would have everything necessary to set up all the tools in the changer.

Karl

Yes and Yes

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds