Gscreen - a GTK / Glade / Python based screen

More
06 Feb 2013 12:49 #29683 by cmorley

AXIS uses touch-off and you pre-select whether its for origin setting or tool setting.

And I forget to pre-select so often that I am probably going to edit Axis on my lathe to have two separate buttons.
(Because if you get it wrong, the whole tool table ends up wrong)

Ya I thought that may be a problem so looks like we will do it with separate buttons on the tool page.

Chris M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2013 12:56 #29684 by cmorley

at the moment I know that tool setting to a common point is missing, I'm just not sure how best to do it.
AXIS uses touch-off and you pre-select whether its for origin setting or tool setting.
I would like something more obvious.
I could have the tool setting buttons show up when the tool table is showing ....
Chris M

I think having it on the tool table page would work well. Include the ability to change tools from there too (tool index button). Could even highlight the row in the tool table matrix for the currently-loaded tool. When a tool is touched off the values in the tool table matrix should update. My thinking is that the tool table page would have everything necessary to set up all the tools in the changer.

Karl

Ya that sounds pretty good
I could pop up a dialog that lets you move the highlight bar then press change tool.
This is very like run-at-line dialog.
I'm not sure how to handle tool offset selection.

Chris M

More
06 Feb 2013 13:09 #29685 by cmorley

Hallo Chris and all the others,

I am missing on that page the button to select a tool.
After powering your machine it is needed to set a certain tool,
i.e. the edge finder, but you will have to distinguish two situations,

First situation:
The tool is mounted already in the spindle,
so you will have to give an M61 Q5 to set tool 5
without doing any move off the machine.
I am doing that with a button getting the value from the entry dialog.

The second situation:
There is no tool in the spindle, but you need to get it from the changer,
so you will have to enter T5 M6 resulting
in machine movement.
I do this with an MDI command.
(shouldn't sending any MDI command from a button be integrated in gscreen?)
I couldn' find a function "self.command.mdi("MDI STRING").

Both should only be allowed if machine is in all_homed state!

I was dreaming from an tool editor page where I can just select the tool highlighting the line and press a button!
So the error messages "requested tool 99 not found in the tool table" is gone.

Next question to answer:
For a tool change you have to give first G40 to unselect cutter radius compensation,
then you select the tool and after that you will have to give an G43
to activate tool length compensation.

Norbert

I though linuxcnc remembers what tool is in the spindle after shutdown?
Why do you have to enter G61 Q5 - I remeber this being added but can't remember why.
Why is it important that the machine not move in this situation?

Gscreen has a tool index button and it calls Tx M6 and then G43 Hx.
(Look in gscreen/mdi.py)
The x is the same for T and H which is probably not the best thing (especially of lathes)

adding a user selectable MDI command button is interesting.

As for G40 and friends - I don't understand why you would be using compensation while manual machining.

Chris M

More
06 Feb 2013 13:15 - 06 Feb 2013 13:16 #29686 by cmorley

Next I found:

gremlin is not indicating the tool path correct:

Norbert:

This is something that you should bring up in the mail list or IRC.
If you are sure it's a bug you could file a bug report.

There is a guy (Kirk Wallace) that is currently working on gremlin - mostly in the context of lathes -but he may be interested in your findings.

I simply don't have time to delve into it at this time.
Gremlin is a very large program all by it's self and not documented very much.

Chris M
Last edit: 06 Feb 2013 13:16 by cmorley.

More
06 Feb 2013 22:39 #29705 by newbynobi

I though linuxcnc remembers what tool is in the spindle after shutdown?
Why do you have to enter G61 Q5 - I remeber this being added but can't remember why.
Why is it important that the machine not move in this situation?

Gscreen has a tool index button and it calls Tx M6 and then G43 Hx.
(Look in gscreen/mdi.py)
The x is the same for T and H which is probably not the best thing (especially of lathes)

adding a user selectable MDI command button is interesting.

As for G40 and friends - I don't understand why you would be using compensation while manual machining.

Chris M

Hallo Chris,

No, linuxcnc do net remember the tool number. After every reboot the tool is set to "0"

The need to give the tool number to the machine with G61 Q5 is that the machine will not go to the tool changer.

If you just give an T5 M6 the machine will move to the tool changer and will try to mount the tool 5, witch is already mounted.
I have one machine with a magazin changer with 24 places. To change the tool, the machine will move in front of the pocket from the tool mounted in the machine, then it will enter the tool pocket in Y, go up in Z and move in X to the new pocket, then go down in Z, Go out the place in Y and change has finished. If the machine thinks, there is no tool in the spindele it will strait go over the pocket and then down in Z to get the tool. But when there is a tool in the spindle, it will breack the tool holder of the changer.

That is the reason I am forced to give first the tool mounted in the spindle.

I got an other machine with a carusel changer, witch will also crash if the tool number is not or wrong set.

For the T5M6 with G43 I will check your code. Why to you set tool length compensation with G43 Hx? If you just set it with G43 without anything else, then linuxcnc will get the parameter needed from the tool table. That does work also on lathes!
So just forget the H after the G43.

Compensation in manual mode:
Just a small example. I want to machine a slotted hole in my part, One part and nothing else then this hole.
Do you really write a complete CNC program, or do you just use MDI commands to machine the hole?

Or on a lathe, you just want to turn down a bar from 20 mm to 15 mm with an 45 degree angle on one side.
It is quick made with some MDI commands, while the first command is executed, you can enter the second and the third and so on, so you have finished entering commands while the machine is still working.

Doing this with compensation means you don't have to measure in between and calculate the path you have to program. Just imagine machining the slotted hole 20 mm with and 60 mm long with a burr 9.45 mm diameter. A simple G41 or G42 will make all the calculation for you.

Norbert

More
06 Feb 2013 22:47 #29706 by BigJohnT
If you have an absolute encoder on your tool changer your tool change ladder or what ever you use should know what tool is loaded and not move the changer.

To program by hand you need ngcgui or in the case of touchy pyngcgui not the MDI window.

John

More
06 Feb 2013 23:02 #29708 by cmorley

Hallo Chris,

No, linuxcnc do net remember the tool number. After every reboot the tool is set to "0"

The need to give the tool number to the machine with G61 Q5 is that the machine will not go to the tool changer.

If you just give an T5 M6 the machine will move to the tool changer and will try to mount the tool 5, witch is already mounted.
I have one machine with a magazin changer with 24 places. To change the tool, the machine will move in front of the pocket from the tool mounted in the machine, then it will enter the tool pocket in Y, go up in Z and move in X to the new pocket, then go down in Z, Go out the place in Y and change has finished. If the machine thinks, there is no tool in the spindele it will strait go over the pocket and then down in Z to get the tool. But when there is a tool in the spindle, it will breack the tool holder of the changer.

That is the reason I am forced to give first the tool mounted in the spindle.

I got an other machine with a carusel changer, witch will also crash if the tool number is not or wrong set.

For the T5M6 with G43 I will check your code. Why to you set tool length compensation with G43 Hx? If you just set it with G43 without anything else, then linuxcnc will get the parameter needed from the tool table. That does work also on lathes!
So just forget the H after the G43.

Compensation in manual mode:
Just a small example. I want to machine a slotted hole in my part, One part and nothing else then this hole.
Do you really write a complete CNC program, or do you just use MDI commands to machine the hole?

Or on a lathe, you just want to turn down a bar from 20 mm to 15 mm with an 45 degree angle on one side.
It is quick made with some MDI commands, while the first command is executed, you can enter the second and the third and so on, so you have finished entering commands while the machine is still working.

Doing this with compensation means you don't have to measure in between and calculate the path you have to program. Just imagine machining the slotted hole 20 mm with and 60 mm long with a burr 9.45 mm diameter. A simple G41 or G42 will make all the calculation for you.

Norbert

Tool change:
Thanks for explaining.
It seems odd to me that we haven't found a better way then that.
Is this what everyone with a toolchanger does?

G43
I know little of fanuc mill style tool offsets.
I have only used an Okuma lathe which uses lathe style tool offsets T11, T2 etc (it was an old machine)

I'm not sure about a mill but for sure in a lathe being able to set a different offset then the tool number has uses.
I once made a program that used both sides of a round tool. I used T11 for one side and T12 for the other. Then by
changing one off the offsets I could adjust the width of the spacer.

In the Okuma if you did a manual tool change it used the tool number for offset AFAIR eg T11 T22
if you wanted a different offset you had to use MDI or AUTO
Maybe I have answered my question - the manual tool change should uses the toolnumber offset (from the toolfile) if you want something else use MDI.

So I can drop the H number hey?

Compensation
What I read from you is you are using G4x in _MDI_ not manual. so the manual toolchange would not use G4x.
You can manual toolchange in manual mode - if you want G4x then use MDI to set it.

In my (small) experience we only used manual for chuck jaw machining and touch-off.
But then again I didn't work at an experienced cnc shop - The guy teaching me was ... not innovative or interested.

More
06 Feb 2013 23:12 #29711 by andypugh
[quote="newbynobi" post=29705
No, linuxcnc do net remember the tool number. After every reboot the tool is set to "0"[/quote]

That sounds wrong.

It might be possible to add the tool number (#5400) to the parameter file. I don't know if that would help.

More
06 Feb 2013 23:32 - 06 Feb 2013 23:33 #29712 by BigJohnT
That is the way it works for me... T0 at start up. It would be wrong to remember as when it is off it can't tell if I removed the tool or moved the turret or other such silliness that might go on when the computer is off.

John
Last edit: 06 Feb 2013 23:33 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Feb 2013 23:38 #29713 by andypugh

It would be wrong to remember as when it is off it can't tell if I removed the tool or moved the turret or other such silliness that might go on when the computer is off.

Which makes the mechanical barcodes on Skunkwork's machine suddenly look like a really neat idea.

Perhaps a solution would be an RFID chip in every toolholder.

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds