Glade 3.8.5 and LinuxCNC RIP build: how to install the catalog?

More
28 Oct 2016 14:22 #82187 by DaBit
My main edevelopment machine is running Lubuntu 16.04. I installed a PREEMPT_RT kernel on it and built LinuxCNC 2.7.7 from source as Run-in-place. GladeVCP panels run fine.
Since I want to create GladeVCP panels I also compiled and installed Glade 3.8.5 from source in it's default /usr/local/* location. Seems to work; 'glade-3' on the command prompt brings up the Glade editor.

However, I am missing the LinuxCNC-specific widgets.

How do I persuade Glade to show them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2016 00:31 #82221 by cmorley
developer.gnome.org/gladeui/3.20/catalogintro.html

IIRC linuxcnc tries to make system links to the plugin path.
If they aren't there it wont work. may be enough to add the folders need.

Chris M

More
30 Oct 2016 15:55 #82257 by DaBit
After I figured out that I had to install the python-gtk2 package also it was quite easy.

For reference: How to get Glade working on newer Linux distros that do no include a glade-gtk2 package:

- Install GTK2 libraries: sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0 libgtk2.0-common libgtk2.0-dev python-gtk2 python-gtk2-dev
- Download and extract Glade 3.8 source tarball, in my case 3.8.5
- cd glade3-3.8.5, ./configure --with-prefix=/usr, make, sudo make install
- Add the LinuxCNC stuff to the GLADE_CATALOG_SEARCH_PATH: export GLADE_CATALOG_SEARCH_PATH=~/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp
- Run glade-3

After setting the search path the HAL Python and VCP Actions panels are available.
Without specific icons though; for that you must copy the PNG files from the LinuxCNC install to the system directory:
sudo cp ~/linuxcnc-dev/lib/python/gladevcp/*.png /usr/share/glade3/pixmaps

However, this still does not solve everything: Glade still complains about a lot of icons: HAL_Label needs an icon named 'widget-gladevcp-hal_label', etcetera. Oh well, whatever.

More
02 Dec 2016 02:35 #83552 by islander261
Hello

This is along the same lines. I have done the install to get Glade 3.8.5 working with GTK-2 widgets. I have checked all of the previously mentioned directories for the widgets, py and .png files (all present). My problem is I do not get the full set HAL widgets when starting from either the terminal or the GUI. Please see attached screen shot. Is there any special configuration setting I need or is there command line switch I need to force the use of the other widgets? When starting from terminal I also get a long litany of missing widget icons. I really want to use the SpeedControl widget, it is in the directories but not in Glade.

John
Attachments:

More
02 Dec 2016 06:40 #83556 by cmorley
Missing icons is not important.
Buried in the messages before icon warnings is quite possibly the error codes.
you may have to adjust the amount of scroll back in the terminal (edit/profile preferences in terminl) to be able to see them.
If you can find actual error codes post them.

Chris M

More
02 Dec 2016 15:31 #83579 by islander261
Chris

Sorry, I don't know what to look for but here is a screen shot of all the messages when starting Glade from the terminal.

John
Attachments:

More
02 Dec 2016 23:15 #83600 by cmorley
on my wheezy distro the command is glade-gtk2...
The erorr messages while odd don't seem to give much clue unfortunately

Chris M

More
02 Dec 2016 23:43 #83602 by tommylight
I just read a few lines but there is something gnome related missing there.

More
02 Dec 2016 23:58 #83603 by cmorley
No current linuxcnc parts require gnome widgets.

Chris M

More
06 Dec 2016 00:49 #83706 by islander261
Hello

I really don't know much about using Linux. I am running LMDE-2 and want to reinstall ( compile) Glade 3.8.5 now that I have all the widgets and parts in the correct locations. Do I need to remove the current installation? If so is there higher level GUI supported method or do I just manually remove directories and files?

John

Moderators: mhaberlerHansU
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds