Is my WHB04B-6 broken?

More
17 May 2020 07:07 #168030 by nyholku
Full disclosure: this is not really LinuxCNC question but since that community is about the only one who might know I'm posting here, hope it is allowed. I'm really trying to interface this pendant to macOS.

I just got my whb04b-6 delivered.

WIthout even trying it, I was worried as the USB dongle sounds like there is some springy thing dangling inside (antenna?), is that normal?

When I plug it in I get Lost Rf in the screen, unless I press some button after which I get the DRO XYZ screen, for a while but eventually it will disappear. In that state it shows full strength signal next to the antenna symbol, the batter indicator shows empty (I have new batteries that I have measured) and the asterisk is next to the selected axis display.

Then I I run my software that simply shows the Input Reports that this HID device sends.

In a few seconds after starting my software I get the 'Lost Rf' screen.

But I still get the Input Reports as per the known protocol when I press the buttons.

However the wheel delta info in those messages is 0x00 unless I press a button or turn a knob
to bring back the DRO display and I get the wheel delta as long as the DRO display is visible.

No matter what I send to the device it has no effect on the display. (I'm sending feature reports with report ID 6
as I think at least the Machine kit driver is using).

To me this looks like the radio link from computer to pendant is not working but from pendant to computer is working.

And this is likely causing all the problems?

Now, the real question is if this is just a hardware issue or if there is some secret sauce, like a code I need to send to the pendant to start the rf link to work?

The details of the behaviour are slightly different if I observe the communication with a Beagle 480 analyzer and/or if UBS wireless dongle is plugged into a PC.

Looking at the communication with beagle I see very little difference between Mac or PC so I attribute the difference to how the USB port hardware supplies the power or something like that.

But the main question really is if there is some ingredient I'm missing or did I just have bad luck and received a faulty product??

Thanks Kusti

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2020 08:00 - 17 May 2020 08:01 #168031 by MovT
Replied by MovT on topic Is my WHB04B-6 broken?
Hi Kusti.

I have the XHC-WHB04B-6 too. My was delivered 2 months ago. My USB dongle didnt make any noise. I guess the package got some huge impacts.

Try to get a replacement dongle from your seller and send him back yours after receiving it (ensure you dont get yours fixed).

Best,
Udo
Last edit: 17 May 2020 08:01 by MovT.

More
05 Jun 2020 11:08 #170238 by nyholku
Replied by nyholku on topic Is my WHB04B-6 broken?
I have received my replacement unit and it seems to behave identically. Even same metallic klang or noise from the USB dongle.

After some further debugging and experimenting I think everything works but the pendant keeps entering some sort of power saving mode and that is when it gets to this "Lost Rf" mode.

More
05 Jun 2020 11:09 #170239 by nyholku
Replied by nyholku on topic Is my WHB04B-6 broken?
And thanks for responding, this stupid forum engine looses my typed response if I don't complete the captha. What a braindead design, sw should never clear any user entered text because of some trivial mistake by the user.

More
07 Jun 2020 13:45 #170479 by Todd Zuercher
No experience with these pendants, but I never have to fill in a captha on this forum. Perhaps it is only needed during a probationary period for new users?

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds