Initial Config help needed please

More
15 Feb 2013 01:05 - 15 Feb 2013 01:26 #30063 by egropp
Hello, I am new to linuxcnc, but have fooled with kcam a bit..

I have a new install of LinuxCNC (ubuntu-10.04-linuxcnc3-i386) on an HP DX2300
I am using ProboStep drivers (from Probotix.com).
For some reason I cannot make the Z axis move (using the 'test Axis" button during the install) The X and Y axis move fine.
I have a differnt machine that is running KCam and all 3 Axis work from that machine (as a sanity check to make sure that the hardware is good).
I have verified the port configuration for pin assignments and everything appears to be correct.
I could sure use a bit of help here to get this setup working.

Thank you in advance of any advice / assistance.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2013 01:26 by egropp. Reason: fixed computer model number

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2013 04:59 #30070 by alan_3301
When I look up probostep it looks like just a driver. What are you using for a breakout board?
I know you said you verified pins, but That would be the first thing I check.
Any docs for the breakoutboard that say what pins are what for the parallel port connector?

Im sure others will ask you to post your ini and hal files, you should go ahead and do that.

More
15 Feb 2013 20:32 #30106 by Rick G

I have a differnt machine that is running KCam and all 3 Axis work from that machine (as a sanity check to make sure that the hardware is good).

I take this to mean you have another computer and your motors/hardware works fine when plugged in there but not when plugged into the Linuxcnc computer? Same cables, breakout board, etc.?

Yes as Alan said more info such as breakout board would be good.

Might be a good idea to double check your pin assignments, I take it your have not created a config yet but are testing in Stepconfig.

Rick G

More
16 Feb 2013 03:46 #30147 by egropp
The breakout board is also from probotix (PBX-2 CNC Parallel Port Breakout Board)

I can connect an old laptop to this unit and all 3 axis will work, to include the limit switches. (So I would assume that all hardware is good).
I installed a fresh version on LinuxCNC on a pc and ran stepconfig. I checked the pin assignments for the parralel port and made sure they matched what KCam was using on the laptop.
When I go through and setup each axis (leaving everything at default), the X and Y axis will move, but the Z aixis does nothing.
I reconnect the laptop and test again and everything works.

I also looked at the ini and hal files (forgot to bring them with me :( ) and everything is the same for all 3 axis.
I put a meter on the pins last night and I get the same reading from pins 6/7 as i do from 2/3 and 4/5. This would seem to indicate an issue with the driver / breakout board except, it works under kcam on a machine right next to it.

More
16 Feb 2013 04:05 #30148 by BigJohnT
Have you inverted the step and direction pins one at a time for Z?

John

More
16 Feb 2013 15:36 - 16 Feb 2013 15:44 #30182 by Rick G
Might also try inverting pin 17 Z enable.

The manual shows
x enable pin 14 Inverted
y enable pin 16
z enable pin 17 Inverted

When powered on is the Z axis motor hard to turn, have power supplied to it?

Rick G
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 15:44 by Rick G.

More
19 Feb 2013 21:49 - 19 Feb 2013 21:50 #30318 by egropp
I think i have narrowed the issue down to a pc issue..
Here is what I found this past weekend

I have 3 Probostep boards connected to a PBX-2 breakout board.

I have a laptop (with KCam installed) and all 3 axis seem to work without issue (so I would assume that the table, motors and wiring are all good)

I have installed Linux CNC on a desktop PC and connected it to the table but only the X and Y axis will work (I get no movement at all from the Z drive. That same PC also has a dual boot setup to allow me to run KCam from that same PC, I get the same results, X and Y work, but no Z movement at all.

I figured the issue here would be with the parallel port on the PC, so I put a meter on the pins and checked voltages.
On the laptop, the step pins have right at 4.79 volts and the direction pins show 4.79 in one direction and 0 in the other
The desktop shows 3.36 on the step pins and from 3.36 in one direction and 1.72 in the other direction.

I have also tried to invert the pins associated with the Z zxis one at a time to see if there were any changes (no such luch)
I am at a bit of a loss here as the laptop runs all 3 axis without issue, the desktop will run 2 axis but not the third.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 21:50 by egropp. Reason: forgot a step

More
19 Feb 2013 23:25 #30321 by cncbasher
as it appears all is well running from the laptop and only the z is not working with both linux and windows on the desktop .
i/'d say you have a broken LPT port on the desktop pc .

you could fit a pci parrell port to the desktop pc as a quick fix ?

More
19 Feb 2013 23:27 #30322 by BigJohnT
You might get a cheap PCI parallel port card and use that.

Are you using pin 1 for Z, I've had issues in the past on some hardware with pin 1 (strobe) as an output.

John

More
20 Feb 2013 01:35 #30328 by egropp
I am looking now for an LPT board to drop in and try..
I am not using pin 1 for anything...

Also.. I guess i cannot seem to get my head aropund the fact that X and Y work ok and all pins show the same output voltages.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds