Live CD

More
01 May 2010 23:41 #2771 by wrightdm
Live CD was created by wrightdm
I burned the Live-CD image to a CD, but I can't get my PC to do anything with it. Is it supposed to be bootable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2010 05:07 #2772 by mbr72cnc
Replied by mbr72cnc on topic Re:Live CD
Hello I am a new member need to ask a few questions.
First what is this Live CD?
Second I have an older computer I will use for my cnc machine would like to put EMC2 on it do I need to download Linux or Ubuntu for the operating system. I am not computer savvy if needing a different operating system other than Windows what will I do to install/use linux? (or should I say go about changing my computer over to a different OS)

Thanks for all your help
Mike

More
02 May 2010 06:20 - 02 May 2010 18:02 #2773 by Gegsite
Replied by Gegsite on topic Re:Live CD
To wrightdm:

A LiveCD means that you must burn the iso file AS an image. So you should burn the iso file from nero as an image.
Than it should be booting when you reboot your PC from the CD.

To mbr72cnc :

Linux is totally different structure from windows. So a LiveCD is a really good tool to make a try with it.
Important that the LiveCD loading time is about 10x slower than a real installed system.
Simply download the .iso file burn it as an image from Nero and boot your PC from the CD.
Last edit: 02 May 2010 18:02 by Gegsite.

More
02 May 2010 07:45 #2774 by step4linux
Replied by step4linux on topic Re:Live CD
wrightdm wrote:

I burned the Live-CD image to a CD, but I can't get my PC to do anything with it. Is it supposed to be bootable?

yes it is. Make sure your PC/bios is setup to boot from CD before harddisk

rgds, Gerd

More
02 May 2010 13:13 #2776 by wrightdm
Replied by wrightdm on topic Re:Live CD
I did burn it on the CD as an image (I guess), as directed in another reply. There were no advanced options to choose from to lead me to think it was anything different, and yes, I did make sure the CD drive was first in the boot order, but the PC still does not recognize it as bootable. One other detail: what is this MD5SUM number shown next to the Live CD link? I have no idea what it is for.

More
02 May 2010 13:28 #2777 by wrightdm
I did burn it on the CD as an image (I guess). There were no advanced options to choose from to lead me to think it was anything different, and I did make sure the CD drive was first in the boot order, but the PC still does not recognize it as bootable. One other detail: what is this MD5SUM number shown next to the Live CD link? I have no idea what it is for. Does it have anything to do with making the CD work?

More
02 May 2010 18:09 #2778 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Live CD
You might read through the Getting Started Guide...

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/EMC2_Getting_Started.pdf

John

More
02 May 2010 18:15 #2779 by Gegsite
Replied by Gegsite on topic Re:Live CD
MD5 checksum is for to be sure that the file that you downloaded is not broken or damaged.
There are programs that can check that the iso file and the checksum is matching. If not than the file is corrupt and will not work properly. Just Google on it.
When you burned the iso file you should see the in the file explorer of the CD:

( /name is directories)

/.disk
/casper
/dists
/install
/isolinux
/pics
/pool
/preseed
/~ubuntu
README.diskdefines
autorun.inf
md5sum.txt
umenu.exe
wubi.exe

More
02 May 2010 20:03 #2784 by wrightdm
I don't see any of those directories on the disk. It just shows up as a single file with the extension "iso". I didn't get any error mesages when I burned it, so I didn't expect it to be corrupted. Usually, if a file is corrupt, I can't get it to write to the disk. Thanks for the clue. I didn't see the "Getting Started" guide the first time around.

More
02 May 2010 21:04 #2786 by step4linux
Replied by step4linux on topic Re:Live CD
wrightdm wrote:

I don't see any of those directories on the disk. It just shows up as a single file with the extension "iso"

seems you burned the iso-file as a data file, not as image.
Try burning again burning from an iso-image

rgds, Gerd

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds