upgrade from 2.6.5 to 2.7 will not install

More
05 Jun 2016 19:46 #75524 by danimal300
I have gone through the install process several times and restarted the machine trying to get the installation to work. I followed the upgrade instructions, and everything worked well until I got to the seep 1.2.1

It says: Click the check box to mark the new linuxcnc and linuxcnc-doc-* packages for upgrade. The package manager may select a number of additional packages to be installed, to satisfy dependencies that the new linuxcnc package has.

When I click the box next to linuxcnc it tells me that I need to mark linuxcnc-dev to be upgraded, so I click mark, then the box next to linuxcnc turns red and it states:

Could not apply changes Fix broken packages first!

I tried marking all of them for removal, but that gives me some dependency error.

What do I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2016 19:49 #75525 by danimal300
I also tried the whole process over several times just in case I got a corrupted download, but everything worked exactly the same way. Man I just wanted to upgrade and get my spindle controller working, not spend all afternoon chasing ambiguously worded error messages.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can provide.

More
05 Jun 2016 22:50 #75531 by BigJohnT
Is the OS Ubuntu 10.04?

What is the link to the instructions your following?

JT

More
06 Jun 2016 01:09 #75536 by danimal300

More
06 Jun 2016 18:10 #75570 by BigJohnT

I have gone through the install process several times and restarted the machine trying to get the installation to work. I followed the upgrade instructions, and everything worked well until I got to the seep 1.2.1

It says: Click the check box to mark the new linuxcnc and linuxcnc-doc-* packages for upgrade. The package manager may select a number of additional packages to be installed, to satisfy dependencies that the new linuxcnc package has.

When I click the box next to linuxcnc it tells me that I need to mark linuxcnc-dev to be upgraded, so I click mark, then the box next to linuxcnc turns red and it states:

Could not apply changes Fix broken packages first!

I tried marking all of them for removal, but that gives me some dependency error.

What do I do?

Open a terminal and type:
sudo apt-get update

it should tell you what to do to fix the broken packages.

JT

More
08 Jun 2016 01:29 #75666 by danimal300
I ran the command you posted. I think that I have done that in previous troubleshooting.

Attached are screen-shots of the results.
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2016 01:34 #75667 by danimal300
It will not let me remove the packages, and it will not let me change anything. it gives basically the same errors, and claims dependencies.

Here is another screen shot when I tried to manually mark each individual piece of the package.
Attachments:

More
08 Jun 2016 06:50 #75671 by cncbasher
you have broken packages that your trying to install , this is shown in red
so remove or deselect this package first

make sure that you have buildbot.linuxcnc.org and the approprate version you require from
buildbot.linuxcnc.org
listed in your repository list in synaptic package manager
( see wiki for further details )
then run sudo update && upgrade
The following user(s) said Thank You: danimal300

More
09 Jun 2016 13:40 #75726 by danimal300
I clicked the mark for removal, and it said that it could not be removed because Linuxcnc 2.6.5 depended on it.

How do I remove it?

More
09 Jun 2016 22:19 #75740 by BigJohnT

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds