Windows10 not shown in boot list

More
03 Aug 2020 01:53 #176986 by OT-CNC
I have installed linuxcnc version 2.8.0-pre1-6095 running on a separate SSD. Windows 10 is on the primary HHD. Not sure if I did something wrong during the partition stage, grub identified the other OS as Windows 7 but is not showing it (Win10) during boot up as a boot option. Is there an easy way to correct that?
More info: the drive is visible on the Debian 9 desktop and was not over written.
Computer is HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF core i5. Linuxcnc installer uspace 2.7.0 debian 9 stretch. Left BIOS default.
I also get a brief message on startup:[ 1.200617] tpm tpm0: a tmp error (7) occurred attempting to read a pcr value
Screen shot attached below with more info. Not sure if it matters as linuxcnc seems to load fine?

TIA
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 08:17 #177013 by tommylight
Hold down shift + ctrl at boot, it should show the grub menu, there windows should be at the bottom of it,

More
03 Aug 2020 08:36 #177017 by Aciera
Not really an answer to your question but I'll add my thoughts anyway:
I don't know how familiar you are with dual boot systems but unless you like fiddling with your computer I would not recommend it since Windows does not care about your Linux installation and often boots the grub loader out after an update. There are way to get it back but unless you like that kind of challenge it's really not much fun.
Personally I have come away from dual boot systems since I find it just a lot cleaner to get a second computer.

More
03 Aug 2020 09:21 #177021 by Mike_Eitel
I prefere to always use bios boot options. Much easier. You can even unplug a disk you want guarantied to keep untouched when installing a new os on a new disk. As ssd got so cheep... Why loosing time with parting big disks and risking your earlier efforts?
Mike

More
03 Aug 2020 13:51 #177038 by OT-CNC
Thanks for the responses.

Hold down shift + ctrl at boot, it should show the grub menu, there windows should be at the bottom of it,

I tried that. It's not listed. I only see the debian and advanced options. It's not shown under advanced either.

I'm setting up linuxcnc for a colleague and wanted him to retain win 10 as it's not my pc. But maybe it's better not to allow dual boot if the updates can brake grub. Thanks for the heads up.

Regarding the start up messages, should I ignore them?

More
03 Aug 2020 14:23 #177043 by tommylight

Regarding the start up messages, should I ignore them?

Yes.
One is for Trusted Platform Module and the other is for virtualisation. Both should be disabled for use with LinuxCNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OT-CNC

More
03 Aug 2020 20:53 - 04 Aug 2020 04:50 #177092 by strahlensauger
Is hibernate enabled? I had problems finding Windows 10 in grub while hibernated.
Shut down Windows normally,
Try os-prober in Linux, maybe you have to install it with sudo apt install os-prober.
It takes some time but eventually it should find everything.
Rerun grub and it should be installed.
As long as you keep the systems on different drives you normally dont harm them and can boot them via bios boot as Mike_Eitel already said.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2020 04:50 by strahlensauger.

More
04 Aug 2020 23:18 #177303 by OT-CNC
I actually could't find hibernate in the bios settings. The only thing I disabled was AMT.
I think I'll leave it as is for now unless there is a suggested critical power management setting I should turn off on this hp for linuxcnc.

More
04 Aug 2020 23:46 #177311 by tommylight
Press F9 or F11 or F12 at boot time, depending on the PC, that will show a menu to chose from what drive it should boot.
This works if the installations are on separate drives, always.

More
05 Aug 2020 06:17 #177349 by strahlensauger
It is not in the BIOS. When you shutdown Windows you can select shutdown or hibernate (if it has been activated, if not then you are fine)
Hibernation saves the actual contents of ram to disk.

This is a general problem with multiboot systems.
If you use suspend ram to disc in linux, you can't use one swappartition with
different installations of Linux for example.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds