Updating to 2.8.1 from 2.8 on Debian Buster RTAI build

More
18 Feb 2021 16:38 #199292 by tacklem60
(I have moved this thread to the install portion of the forum rather than general questions because I believe it is more appropriate here)

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me on the topic. Based on my searching through the forum, it appears that some users have done a clean install of Debian Buster running on the RTAI kernel for the newest version (2.8.1).

I am currently running Buster (I have to use RTAI to get the latency results that are acceptable for my application) on Version 2.8.0. I have been dealing with a few issues with QTDragon (tool table duplicating every tool in the library if any tool is edited as well as the jog feedrate slider being stuck at a max value of 3600).

Based on some replies to earlier posts I have made, I am led to believe these two fixes have been implemented in 2.8.1. Unfortunately, I am so computer illiterate when it comes to Linux that I can't seem to find the right repository name to let LinuxCNC update on the RTAI kernel. I was told that buildbot won't compile the RTAI build and don't know where else to look.

What exactly should I have listed as the active repository to allow my version of LinuxCNC to update to the newest version (and hopefully allow automatic updates in the future).

Thanks again!
Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2021 17:55 #199313 by Todd Zuercher
I'm not sure that one exists right now.

More
19 Feb 2021 09:19 #199383 by twoflowers
You find the RTAI kernel here:
linuxcnc.org/temp/

More
26 Feb 2021 00:48 #200153 by andypugh

I am currently running Buster (I have to use RTAI to get the latency results that are acceptable for my application) on Version 2.8.0.

It should be an automatic update, or available via the synaptic package manager.

2.8.1 debs for buster / rtai exist on the server: www.linuxcnc.org/dists/buster/2.8-rt/binary-amd64/

(I can't remember how they got there, possibly hand-built by me then promptly forgotten about)

More
26 Feb 2021 06:38 - 26 Feb 2021 20:01 #200175 by tacklem60
Andy,

You were actually just the person I was hoping would chime in! You had mentioned to me back in December that you were close to an update for 2.8.1 that had the fixes I was looking for. Looks like you came through!

*update*

I did manage to figure out how to perform the update to 2.8.1, however, my system no longer will load to QTDragon now. I have attached the log file from my error, not really sure what has changed since 2.8 that will no longer allow LinuxCNC to open?

File Attachment:

File Name: linuxcnc_info.txt
File Size:3 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 20:01 by tacklem60.

More
26 Feb 2021 20:14 #200225 by tacklem60
Looking through the log report, I attempted to locate the resource.py file it seems to be looking for and it certainly isn't located in that folder.

Two questions. First and most obvious, what is supposed to be contained in that file and what should I do about not having it?

Second, if the lack of that file existing is causing QTDragon to crash, why did it work fine before updating from 2.8 to 2.8.1? Was it looking for that file somewhere else before and I possibly have it located in the wrong directory? Or is it a dependency that was added in 2.8.1 for some reason?

Joe

More
26 Feb 2021 21:32 #200236 by andypugh
There seems to be something very odd in the output:

[QtDesigner.QTVCP.QT_PSTAT][[37mDEBUG[0m] Checking for resources.py in: [33m/usr/share/qtvcp/screens/qtdragon/resources.py[0m (qt_pstat.py:210)

I doubt that the path 33m..... is valid. Did those appear when pasting, or are they there in the original?

More
26 Feb 2021 21:44 #200239 by tacklem60
I hadn't noticed that until you asked.

33m shows up on every directory line in the report log but obviously is not an actual directory on my computer.

I am guessing it is an issue with the report more than anything because it is locating all of the correct files minus the resources.py which I did verify is not located in either of the folders it is searching.

I tried making a blank file named resources.py and placing it in that folder just to verify that it was searching the correct directory. The log after that did indicate that it located my fake resources.py file but obviously did not load QTDragon because the file was lacking any information.

Do you happen to know if there is a copy of resources.py on GitHub for me to download? I tried looking through some of your files on GitHub but couldn't find one and google seems to be turning up no results either. It doesn't help that i don't know what the resources.py file is even supposed to contain or why it worked before the 2.8.1 update without it.

I have also verified that the QTDragon sim on 2.8.1 does work fine as does some other GUI like gmoccapy.

Joe

More
26 Feb 2021 22:26 #200246 by andypugh
Reading the error message more carefully, resources.py is a file that is compiled from the qrc file as-needed.

github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/a68618...p/qt_makegui.py#L159

It says that it is compiling it, then it can't find it after compiling.

Possibly the compile has failed. Or the system can't write to the folder where it is compiling to.

Above that point there are references to installing pyqt-dev-tools. Might be worth trying.

More
26 Feb 2021 22:31 - 26 Feb 2021 22:44 #200248 by tacklem60
*UPDATE* turns out I was completely chasing my tail! Cmorley realized that it was an issue with my local .ui file that needed to be updated. I deleted my local copy and everything works perfectly now! In hind sight, that makes perfect sense being that the main reason for my update was for your fixes to my ui (the mad jog slider being stuck at 3600 and the tool table duplicating every tool if you made any changes).

With the local (likely still flawed) .ui file gone, 2.8.1 works perfectly and all requested fixes work perfect!

I really can't thank you all enough for the help in the past couple years.

Joe
Last edit: 26 Feb 2021 22:44 by tacklem60.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds