Installation on Debian Jessie

More
04 Feb 2016 18:53 - 04 Feb 2016 18:57 #69601 by Amedee
Based on this announcement , I decided to go with Debian Jessie for my new install (32 bits).

Compared to Wheezy, beyond the fact that Jessie is more current, it also allows you to choose a Desktop Environment at install time which is really convenient. I decided to go with LXDE as it is quite small, which is all I need for my 10 year old box! No fancy features, but I don't care as it will be dedicated to LinuxCNC.

Now as this RTAI kernel is relatively recent, it seems that the documentation has not been updated yet, and being unfamiliar with LinuxCNC, I had to make some guesses to find the right repositories and packages to install. So if it can help someone, here is what I did:

For the repos (/etc/apt/sources.list):
<snip>
#
# LinuxCNC 2.7
#
# For the kernel, modules and mesa tools:
deb http://linuxcnc.org/ jessie base
# For LinuxCNC itself:
deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ jessie 2.7-rt

You will need to import the keys from both repos
# Main repo
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3cb9fd148f374fef
# Buildbot
apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key E0EE663E

Then for the packages:
# Update package index
apt-get update
# install kernel & modules
apt-get install linux-image-3.16.0-9-rtai-686-pae rtai-modules-3.16.0-9
# install LinuxCNC
apt-get install linuxcnc

Reboot, and you should be good to go ;)

Note that if you decide to reboot immediately after the kernel install, you will have to reboot (or at least logout) as well after installing LinuxCNC, otherwise LinuxCNC won't start.

Edit: Wanted to post this in 'Install', but looks like I picked the wrong section :blush: , so if somebody can move it to the right place ...
Last edit: 04 Feb 2016 18:57 by Amedee. Reason: Wrong section
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, cncnoob1979, FlyingJack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2016 07:04 #82167 by azeri
Replied by azeri on topic Installation on Debian Jessie
Hi there,

Thanks Amedee for this guide.

I done this and its working now, i needed this Kernel to work on J1800 Graphics, so i can rotate and do few things with monitor. Just wanted to add that 2.7.7 Compiles and works, downloading copy from git, if someone wants the deb package i made for this Kernel, just ask for it, but i don't know how to upload or where to do it. (original version installing from this guide is 2.7.3, with some problems as for example bad P value on PNCCONF inis)

Best Regards,
Azeri.

More
07 Nov 2016 14:02 - 27 Apr 2017 14:16 #82543 by Todd Zuercher
Unfortunately that announcement about support for Jessie with RTAI may have been a little premature. (Someone really should add a note to that page with updated info.) Some time not long after that announcement was made it was found that that RTAI kernel version was crashing buildbot, so it was shut down and pre-compiled versions of Linuxcnc are no longer available for it. It is unfortunate because I also feel that Jessie is much more polished/better release otherwise than Wheezy.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2017 14:16 by Todd Zuercher.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds