Gmoccapy plasma help

More
10 Apr 2018 03:34 #108700 by Plasmaguy
Hi, I've been attempting to get the Gmoccapy plasma config set up just so I can have a corner lock function for my Proma 150 torch height controller; I already have all the axes running in the standard Gmoccapy config but for some reason am unable to get any of the axes to move in Gmoccapy plasma. I have read the numerous different documentation and postings but my grasp of Linuxcnc is so small that 99% of it is just going over my head.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2018 06:41 #108712 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Gmoccapy plasma help
The Gmocappy plasma screen is really just a bunch of ideas on a nice GUI with nothing connected. There is a Cornerlock component I wrote and shared in the plasma section that is designed for Gmocappy and the External offsets branch of LinuxCNC. It will certainly connect with Gmoccappy but it might need some creative work to enable/disable your Proma THC. It does work well though.

More
10 Apr 2018 16:54 - 10 Apr 2018 16:57 #108762 by Plasmaguy
Replied by Plasmaguy on topic Gmoccapy plasma help
Thank you very much, I found the component you shared and see that it is used in conjunction w/sheetcam which I am already using and familiar with, so that's a plus for me.

So the component should work with my already functional gmoccapy config? I'm using Linux2.7, if that matters. How much work are we talking to accomplish this? I've spent weeks on end trying to implement a THC, gone through several configs and it seems like I've barely moved from where I started. Getting my table sans THC up and running on Axis was piece of cake, why it has to be so difficult to get a functional THC implemented with Linuxcnc is beyond me, at this point I'm wondering if I should just go a different route than Linuxcnc because things really shouldn't have to be this difficult...but now that I'm here it's too late to go slinking back to Mach 3.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2018 16:57 by Plasmaguy.

More
10 Apr 2018 19:21 - 10 Apr 2018 19:23 #108766 by rodw
In the external offsets branch, the min-velocity sets the threshold at which cornerlock is enabled.To disable cornerlock, we set it to 0.00 The is-active pin was added just to drive a gmoccappy LED to show it was active. You should be able to use this pin to tell your system to disable the THC but it might get messy.

The component could do with another pin that is true when not active. eg the inverse of is-active. Add a pin not_active to the source and then add something like this as the last line in the component before the final closing }
not_active  = !is_active;

Eg if you were using the thcud component to control your 150 you could and2 the new pin with whatever is driving the thcud.enable pin.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2018 19:23 by rodw.

More
10 Apr 2018 21:08 #108772 by Plasmaguy
I'm trying to understand, is the component usable with the gmoccapy config or possibly axis? I don't see anything "external offsets" on my config picker. I guess it's not available in linux2.7? I can't make any sense out of why it wouldn't or shouldn't be there. I don't need anything fancy, I don't care about indicator lights, it could run in the background as long as it does the job so I can be done jumping in and out of rabbit holes and put this endeavor to rest already.

More
11 Apr 2018 08:04 #108794 by rodw
External offsets is an experimental branch that a few of us have tried without much luck. My component will take the gmoccappy GUI input for cornerlock velocity and set a pin to true when velocity drops below the set threshold. Its up to you to to integrate it into your setup. As is, you probably have to invert the output to enable/disable your THC when it kicks in. You could use the HAL not component or modify my source to add another pin.

And going down rabbit holes will be hard to avoid to build a plasma machine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plasmaguy

More
11 Apr 2018 20:25 - 11 Apr 2018 20:29 #108832 by Grotius
Replied by Grotius on topic Gmoccapy plasma help
@Rodw,

I was viewing a youtube video about external offset's.
It's amazing !!

It's a very good item to combine with welding robot's to follow actual welding path's.
A company Valk Welding in the Nederland's also does this technique by laser sensor input on
panasonic robot's. But i see the benefit's of external offset's now, after one year. Hihi.

For the plasmaguy it can be difficult to start up. I know. I also started one year ago with zero information. And zero knowlegde of linux.

At the moment i am trying to compile the 64 bit linux version for linuxcnc. Only for one reason.
Draftsight. I think i am the first on trying on single core. But in example it is quad core.
So first i go with the kernel as example. If this works, i will try the latest kernel and will try also a very fast quad core. Step by step is the plan.

The THCUD function works pretty good. The difiicult part is the hal postgui file part to get
the z axis input value and the z axis output value good.

Plasmaguy, wich hardware have you running? Maybe i can help you with setting up the plasma with linuxcnc.

I am almost so far to contact mesa. But i have some work to do.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2018 20:29 by Grotius.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
12 Apr 2018 16:43 - 12 Apr 2018 16:43 #108888 by Plasmaguy
Grotius, I have just a simple $20 Sainsmart 5 axis BOB, and was attempting to run a Proma 150 THC. However, I threw in the towel on the 150 (for now) and ordered a Proma SD that has a built-in microcontroller that takes control of the Z axis after the arc OK signal comes from my Powermax 45xp and runs independent of LCNC. My intention is to get the 150 going in the near future but for now I need production and that's what the SD should give me until I can make sense of Rodw's component, external offsets, etc.

I see potential for LCNC to run not just my plasma table but also robotic welding and powder coating...so I'm not giving up, it's been frustrating in some ways but I know if I keep slugging along one of these days the light will turn on and I'll just shake my head at myself when I can finally see the simplicity of it all.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2018 16:43 by Plasmaguy.

More
12 Apr 2018 20:40 #108896 by islander261
Replied by islander261 on topic Gmoccapy plasma help
Plasmaguy

You do not need to use the external offsets branch with either Proma THC. Look for tommylights threads on a THC that works. I think that will work with one or both units. Tommy is a (the?) real guru about using the Proma THCs. Also look at JT's thcud component as I believe it will work with the Proma units as well. There are also several simulation configurations that should work with the Proma units and give you an example of needed HAL connections. The Promas are the simplest THC to get to work with LinuxCNC. You need to post copies of you .ini and .hal files along with your external wiring if you want help with the connections.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plasmaguy

More
12 Apr 2018 20:51 #108900 by Plasmaguy
Thanks islander, I did post to Tommylight's thread concerning some issues getting his config up and running but haven't gotten a followup response for going on a week. I figure that most posters here are as busy as I am, so while I'm waiting on further feedback I bit the bullet and ordered the Proma SD so I can at least be able to get a workable THC so I don't have to babysit my plasma table while it's cutting. I really want the flexibility I think the 150 will give when I can more up to speed on programming LCNC.

Moderators: newbynobiHansU
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds