just another plasma build and then some :)

More
09 Sep 2019 06:53 - 09 Feb 2020 16:28 #144564 by machinedude
i just figured i would post some build log photo's over here since this looks like the way i'm going with controls at the moment :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 16:28 by machinedude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2019 07:09 #144566 by machinedude
just some more pictures since everyone likes pictures :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

More
09 Sep 2019 07:28 #144567 by thefabricator03
Thats a very well made Z axis, What thickness do you plan to cut? And how often?

I have really gummed up a Velox Z axis due to my water table spraying up water mixed with metal dust. It made a mess of my ballscrew and caused the axis to bind. I only solved the problem by enclosing the ball screw behind bellows.

More
09 Sep 2019 07:33 #144568 by machinedude
i am limited to a Hypertherm 45 xp so 1/2 is the limit on a pierce for that unit.

i plan on making bellows out of ballistic nylon to seal everything up and protect everything. the z axis i will cover up with a sheet metal cover to seal that up as much as possible. the long axis i will drive from the bottom and the water table will cover the ball screw on that axis and i will have to see what i can come up with to seal the rails on the side.

More
09 Sep 2019 07:37 #144569 by thefabricator03
I had problems with water on the side rails as well. In the end I made the frame cover the bearings at the top and made sheet metal covers on both end to stop as much water as possible.

I also use double seals and a scraper kit on all of my bearings. Really helps.

More
09 Sep 2019 07:49 - 09 Sep 2019 07:50 #144570 by machinedude
i knew going into this build i would have to seal everything up as much as possible to protect the expensive parts. bellows are flat out expensive to buy out right so i came up with a plan to make them myself. will take some time but i have more time than money so that's how i ended up with that plan :)

this entire build has been about precision. so having said that my table will be bolted together and machined so i can keep it square from the start. the only way to make a welded table flat and square is to machine it back that way after welding. being a machinist for the last 30 years has taught me all about what happens to metal when you throw that much heat and stress into it :)
Last edit: 09 Sep 2019 07:50 by machinedude.

More
09 Sep 2019 08:26 #144572 by thefabricator03
I brought my bellows for a manufacturer in china, I found them on Alibaba. Cost about $95 AUD shipped for the top and bottom bellows on my z axis. They made it custom to my dimensions.

It is made from flame proof nylon, I have not had any problem with it and I cut a lot of heavy plate so lots of sparks.

More
09 Sep 2019 08:33 #144573 by rodw
Looks really well built good job!

More
09 Sep 2019 08:49 #144576 by pl7i92
nice alot of AL plates heavy no need for Laser plasma you may attend a mill i guess
as this will stand a 1,1kw on AL plate

you coudt easy use the AL profiles insted for laser and plasma
Attachments:

More
09 Sep 2019 09:06 #144578 by machinedude
might end up being a duel purpose table. being able to add a router would be a plus so that was a factor in design. versatility is what i am after :)

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds