linuxcnc 2.9.2 (live) on the intel n100 cpu

More
13 Feb 2024 18:14 #293246 by tommylight

Bet I'll set the shop on fire if I attempt this with intel's newly cut-corner range of nothing.

Are you trying to compete with me on who hates Intel more? :)
Find a $1000 new laptop with Intel processor, see if you can find what is wrong with it just by reading the specs!
Sorry for hijacking the topic, but i really hate when big companies realize most of their users are not technically versed and show cr@p on them.
Having a single useful core on a new 14 gen laptop is utter B.S. no matter how many E (stands for "Extremely weak") cores it has.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mecanix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2024 18:50 - 13 Feb 2024 18:51 #293247 by Mecanix
Once an inspiring innovator and corporation, I really looked up to them, down to I-don't-know-what the fuck they are doing. Prolly changed silicon for papier-mâché for their np transistors their switching performance is degrading faster than their back pocketed politicians changes their mind.

"It sucks? no worries, increase variants of the same and just change the core naming from cherry to wazoo" ~Intel
Last edit: 13 Feb 2024 18:51 by Mecanix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Feb 2024 18:58 - 13 Feb 2024 19:12 #293248 by Hakan
That's not what I get with my N100 Firebat T8 Pro Plus, see below
HT and C-states are disabled.
Link to product, I have the N100 16GB version: aliexpress.com/item/1005005234874016.html

Edit, sorry the N100 doesn't have hyperthreading, confused it with another cpu I was working with.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2024 19:12 by Hakan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Mecanix

More
13 Feb 2024 19:07 #293249 by Mecanix
Ah. Knew something was up... nothing made any sense at all. Thanks for posting Hakan, u saved another of Intel's badday lol

More
13 Feb 2024 19:25 #293251 by Hakan
What I can spot as different vs gambaf is that I run debian off the internal nvme drive, not the live debian.
The only real modification I have made is to increase the megahertz for the memory, it has got DDR5 memory at 4800 MHz but is set much lower i bios. I have also looked around in bios to reduce turbo and power states, but there are not that many such settings. I might have touched one or two such setting but I can for sure not find back which one. The C-states are disabled for sure, that made a big difference. isolcpus=1,2,3 made a difference as well, it has got four real cores.

More
13 Feb 2024 20:01 #293254 by Mecanix
I'll place an order for a J6426 and a N100, test both, and return/refund the worst. Not entirely sure why I'm being recommended a J6426 over the endless list of other four-cores, neither asked why, but I take it from a seller who specialize in industrial automation HMIs, processors and what not (including linuxcnc).

I'll update.
(man I'll miss that decade long luv affair with that ice-age core-duosaurus)

More
13 Feb 2024 20:08 #293257 by Mecanix

Not entirely sure why I'm being recommended a J6426 over the endless list of other four-cores.

Obviously has to do with Intel's nothing-fancy core naming sounding like a cool exo-planet. Bet it smells roasted rose petals when glxgears are crunching the silicon over others too (insert rolleyes meme here).. who knows.

**No Affiliation, zero recommendation here, based on luck, waste of time, and money - likely. At your own risk.**

More
13 Feb 2024 20:21 - 13 Feb 2024 20:24 #293258 by gambaf
Hakan, could the difference be that you didn't "stress" your machine while testing? And by stress I mean a few glxgears and opening up firefox to play some hd yoututbe in the background.
With all the Intel hate going on here, I'd expect people to compile the kernel in the background with 16 threads, but instead you're letting them off easy with just and idling pc?
I did install linuxcnc on the nvme drive after the initial test on the live version so I could set cpu isolation, which I don't know if you can do on the live version.

When I just launch the histogram without any additional tasks running (glxgears, firefox/youtube), I get similar results to you.
All the tests were done with the following command line as requested:
latency-histogram --nobase --sbinsize 1000 --show

Modified BIOS, under stress, isolated cores:

Modified BIOS, idle, isolated cores:

Default BIOS, isolated, idle:

Default BIOS, not isolation, idle:

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2024 20:24 by gambaf.

More
13 Feb 2024 22:17 #293271 by tommylight
Much better! :)
There is no off chart excursions anymore on the first picture under load, so attach the Mesa board and start making chips.

More
14 Feb 2024 08:00 #293300 by Hakan
This is an unreasonable load for linuxcnc but here we go. 9 glxgears, youtube streaming, recompiling a project with files on a network drive.
Youtube video stutters a bit because of the load, so it is at least a bit loaded.
Still inside +- 15 usecs.

gambaf, you use isolcpus=2,3 so you still can get that sort of delays, use isolcpus=1,2,3

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds