linuxcnc 2.9.2 (live) on the intel n100 cpu

More
14 Feb 2024 09:02 #293310 by Mecanix
Quick shoutout to Gambaf & Hakan for the efforts and for pushing out hardware specifics with relevant benchmarks (thanks guys). Got two on order, although one will be returned. Opted in for a mountable/industrial passive cooling unit here... should fit nicely in the control cabinet.

I'll update on the "what's with J6426 -vs- N100" in a week or two. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2024 09:36 #293314 by Hakan
Are those tiny holes for external antenna extensions? The built-in wifi antenna in my unit is only useful on the bench.
I guess I have to use an usb wifi dongle to get wifi in/out of the cabinet. Great if it possible to place
the antenna outside of the cabinet.

I think the J6426 will be fine as well. The celerons I have tested work fine, although the j6426 obviously is in the Pentium family.
Proper packaging btw.

More
14 Feb 2024 10:22 #293319 by Mecanix

I guess I have to use an usb wifi dongle to get wifi in/out of the cabinet. Great if it possible to place
the antenna outside of the cabinet.

Haha I like that external wifi idea, thanks for that 
Yeah the kit comes with wifi threaded terminals that fits in the tiny holes you've already spotted. Not on the pic (optional). I get some 2.4Ghz extension leads. Nice one thx!

More
22 Feb 2024 22:09 - 22 Feb 2024 22:11 #294023 by Mecanix
@Gambaf @Hakan - Quick update on the score. Looks like I'm subscribed to The N100 Cult (Winner). In a few words; stupid fast and reliable. Not entirely sure what took me so long to pull the trigger on one of those... must be that intel luv affair. 

Not uploading benchmarks as you did, mine's identical if not slightly better, but that's probably because I've applied the IRQ affinity hack (credits to mozmck). Got shots from the desktop and the benchtop though 

Last edit: 22 Feb 2024 22:11 by Mecanix.

More
22 Feb 2024 22:23 #294024 by Mecanix
^^^ Recommend x100$ ^^^

More
23 Feb 2024 07:21 #294050 by gambaf
Good to hear.

I've been running mine, making parts for a few days now with no issues, Running kernel 6.7.
Setting the IRQ affinity of the Mesa LAN interface to the isolated core is a must, I've found.

What kind of temperatures are you getting on that passive cooling while idling/working? Not really a linuxcnc issue, but I've considered using a machine like this as a simple firewall where passive cooling would be nice.

More
23 Feb 2024 08:19 #294051 by Mecanix
Thermal characteristic of the passive system is +10~12dC above ambient temperature while idle. e.g. if ambient temp is 20dC, the cores will idle at 30~32dC avg. In a fun and real-life scenario, running Linuxcnc will have the cores up to 50~55dC at ambient 20dC constant with that fanless and fat passive heatsink. Not all bad design!

Aside that N100, the networking perf of the ath9k (wireless) and r8169 (gigabit) are quite rewarding. Highly recommend (honest). Thanks to you and Hakan for the heads up, nice one guys. 

More
23 Feb 2024 08:34 - 23 Feb 2024 08:42 #294052 by Mecanix
On the down side, that fatty heatsink radiates cold back in quite effectively. It's currently 5.5dC in my location, where the N100 is idle into (the backyard garage to be precise). If the CPU see sudden stress at those <10dC low temps, thermal shock may/will occur. And so you could say the passive unit is suitable for indoor at =>20dC only, ideally.

Not that anyone's running metal-on-metal below 10dC anyway. But to be mindful of... 

Last edit: 23 Feb 2024 08:42 by Mecanix.

More
23 Feb 2024 15:41 #294082 by vre
I was thinking to get an orange pi5 but saw these mini industrial pcs on aliexpress
that have 2 lans and rs232/422/485 ports on board can run vanilla linux
without patches mods that need arm boards.
What mini pc from aliexpress you suggest to get?
(with 2x lan / rs232/485 ports/ 8gb ram at least)

More
23 Feb 2024 17:02 #294088 by Mecanix
Nah, don't do that (rpi5). Go for an industrial kit hands down - straight up official debian iso install & drivers supported, common/standard bios. 

Not an Alibaba member and so it's going to be hard for me to be useful with that request. What I can do is push the seller/manufacturer contact I got mine from (taobao). Grab that visual (business contact) and send that to a few of your alibaba sellers - as many as you can and request for the exact same unit to be shipped out. Reality is these dudes all know each others and/or they're all from the same place anyway. They'll find it for you I'm not even worried...

In a meantime I'll shoot an msg to my contact tomorrow and ask if he has an Alibaba store (or know of anyone who carries his product line). I'll update if anything.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds