7I96 error

More
11 Mar 2022 19:22 #236953 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic 7I96 error
There are a number of people who have reported reliability issues using step down buck modules orĀ  USB power supplies. Its far better to get a nice din rail mount power supply. Something like a Meanwell MDR-20-5 which is only $20 or so. I know you have field power sorted but pairing this with say a Meanwell MDR-60-25 is a nice compact and not expensive solution. The Mesa commx2 bus bars are also a nice touch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2022 20:01 #236955 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 7I96 error
7805 is a Linear voltage regulator, meaning it heats a lot so using big aluminium heatsinks is mandatory.
Also there are several versions of it, from 0.5 to 1.5A, most are 1A max.
It also has current limiting and thermal shutdown, so might be those are kicking in.
-
Side note,
I have used and still use several Mesa boards powered by USB, had a 7i92 and a 7i77 for over a year working like that with no issues ever.
The issue is with USB ports on the PC, some are rated at 0.5A, some can do 2A easily, but the issues might mostly bee due to overcurrent protection kicking in, seen that happen even when plugging a high end gaming mouse on some older PC's.
DC-DC cheap converters are a hit-and-miss affair, i have some that work nicely for several years and i have 9 that i can not use as the 10'th i had decided it was prudent to go all out and send 32V to power some 5V relays. This was a buck-boost converter.
-
Meanwell does have 5V supplies, and that would be the lowest quality i would use for Mesa, Delta is much better, then there are over 100$.
Till late i used original Samsung phone chargers, can not find them anymore. Do NOT use cheap chargers, never ever.
Original RPI power supplies should be good, but beware some are 5.3V and that is above the Mesa limit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

More
11 Mar 2022 22:54 #236963 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7I96 error
I was also thinking about a 7805 overheating:
20V-5V*~300mA = ~5W dissipation which will
definitely cause thermal shut down of a 7805
without a heat sink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigJohnT

More
15 Mar 2022 02:55 #237287 by imslo
Replied by imslo on topic 7I96 error
I put a heat sink on the 7805 and it solved the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Mar 2022 10:25 #237317 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic 7I96 error
Nice, thanks for reporting back.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds